When James Potter fell from the Cherry Tree (Part 1)

"Succubus" is the only magical place in London that is not located in Diagon Alley, but three streets downtown, near Victoria Station, in the heart of the muggle city. It has the appearance of an abandoned haberdashery and the spell that keeps it safe from the gaze of non-magical is a simple "Seam sum!" what James and Sirius say at the same time so that the wall behind the counter absorbs them inland and make them appear in the most crowded pub ever. It's the Quidditch World Cup Finale. Pakistan against England, and as it is the only place in London that offers dinner for only four galleons, two pints, and glass balls to watch the game live, there is no room for a pin. The waiters have distributed the tables in all corners available and for an added fifty sickles, you can get a levitation seat four meters from the ground, to take advantage of the space.

They elbow their way to the bar and James recognises, at one of the tables from the background to Arthur "Excalibur" Rogers, one of the Beaters of the Canons during the famous Golden Triennium (from 68' to 70').

He is struck by a kind of burst of excitement and wonders if he would be pathetic to approach the table and bump into him just so she can say that he touched someone who could command the bludgers from Bath to Belfast with a single hit. He decides that yes, that would be pathetic. Better wait for him to go to the loo, and follow him to be able to say that he has pissed next to a legend.

Sirius orders the drinks and the flying glasses can't keep up. The waitresses charge and reserve the tables, and one of them, logically, winks at him, puts the cleavage on the counter and asks how long they're going to stay in London.

- Nah, we're leaving tonight.

Jugs in hand, Sirius walks over to the table where they are heading, and it takes James a long time to realise that he was just a witness to a historical event.

- What was that?

- A girl, James. She is like a boy but can't piss standing up. Have you been spending so much time with Peter that you don't recognise a girl?

- You turned her down!!!! - It is mythical, it is historical, it is colossal. She is the first time it happens. - She was flirting with you and you've passed from her!

All that Sirius, all that Sirius Black, the terror of the girls from Hogwarts, answers that "I've come to see Quidditch with you." As if it was an explanation as if it were normal as if ever SOMETHING would have come between him and the remotest possibility of being with a woman.

-Mate, you're changing- James says, his jaw dropped to the floor. - No, much worse. You are growing up!!!!!!!!

He deliberately chooses the words "Grow up" to piss him off. After everything, it was Sirius who told him in their second year that all older people become teachers, parents, or like Severus Snape and he made him promise never to grow up, under pain of death and torture. In that order. Sirius is indeed pissed off.

- Oi! Do not repeat it again or I will dip your broom in reducing potion and you'll fly on a toothpick, Potter.

Pakistan players take off to the field and while the National anthem sounds, Sirius attacks dinner and drinks his beer. James does not touch his plate. He is still digging in it. There has to be an explanation. Of course.

In fact, if James thinks about it, he only comes up with ONE Explanation.

It just cannot be.

But there is something, James notices it for the first time, something in his best friend, in his soulmate, who seems different. Since he left home or even before that, Sirius jokes the same and gets angry and rages and promises gasoline and dynamite but something of all that he always has chased for has been softened. James feels like he just hit something with the head. 

"How have I not noticed before?"

- Do you fancy someone!!

Sirius immediately raises his head from the beer. He pretends that he has never heard anything so ridiculous.

- Please.

And that "please" of his, his exaggerated grimace of offended dignity is so exaggerated, so implausible, so unconvincing that James has, in that moment and in that place, a revelation.

- By Merlin himself, - he mutters- Sirius Orion Black, you are in love!

He says it loud enough that he can be heard all over the bar and as a result of the shock, Sirius, who at the time was trying to take a drink from his mug, spits the beer up to James' side of the table, getting a beer rain kind of thing all over his face and shirt.

- TAKE THAT FUCKING BACK!!!!!!!!