For the rest of your life - Fred

TRIGGER WARNING: none?
.
Everything went so wrong so quickly. One minute you were all making fun of Ron and his undying love for Victor Krum and now you were running for your life, trying desperately to get away from death eaters. You were with Hermione, Ron and Harry and the three of you had been separated from the rest of the group. You had no way of knowing where anyone was, whether they were still alive or wounded, and that included your boyfriend Fred.

You four had ran into the forest after being seperated to be away from other people and going back to search for the others now would be stupid and pointless, like searching for a needle in a haystack. Even with bright red Weasley hair, it would be impossible to spot in the sea of people. So you had no choice but to wait.

After god knows how long, everything had finally cleared up. There wasn't a single person on sight. If everyone hadn't fled before they certainly have now, considering there as a giant green glowing dark mark in the sky, so you four could now make your way back to the camp without the risk of being trampled to death. The others were talking but you tuned them out. You could only think of one thing and one thing only. Fred.

You heard your name being called. Your head snapped up and you didn't think you had ever been happier to see Fred in your life. You took off and dashed towards him. Wait. It wasn't Fred, it was George. You slowed down but hugged him anyway, since he was still one of your closest friends. But something didn't seem quite right. He was crying. The twins never cry.

"Georgie, what's going on" you asked, a lump rising in your throat. You have an inkling about what it could be, but you prayed to whatever higher being was out there that your intuition was horribly wrong. "We've all said our goodbyes, he's just waiting for you now". And just like that, everything around you came crashing down. There was a ringing in your ears and time itself stopped.

No, you couldn't have heard that right, this was Fred you were talking about, the Fred that promised he'd love you for the rest of your lives. You looked up at George, hoping to see a smirk and for him to tell you that you fell for their prank, but you were met with a sad smile and tears cascading down his cheeks. Your lungs forgot how to breathe.

You allowed him to lead you to a tent, following behind him like a lost soul. I mean that's what you'd be if you lost Fred, as cliche as it sounds, he completed you. He promised you he'd never leave, that he'd be there to annoy you even when you were old and wrinkly. But apparently that was not the case. You were standing in front of the man you loved, who was pale as a ghost, holding onto his side where you could see a large gaping wound that was the source of his blood loss and you winced. No amount of magic could save that.

He was drifting in and out of consciousness, still desperately trying to hold on until he got to tell you he loved you one last time. You knelt down and reached out to take his hand. So cold, so different to the warmth you were used to. "Hey there Freddie" you whispered, wincing at the crack in your voice as a tear sneaked it's way down your cheek. He turned his head to look at you, and even on the brink of death his eyes lit up at the sight of the person he loved.

"Hey darling, you're okay" he said, reaching an arm up to wipe away your tears, but more just replaced them. "You're not" "But you are" he protested, tightening his grip on your hand. "You're gonna be okay, we'll meet again sometime love" he whispered, trying to reassure you but how could you feel any better when his life was slipping away right in front of your eyes. "Not without you, I'll never be okay without you" you cried, not bothering to hide your tears anymore. A sad smile tugged at his lips as he brought your hand up and kissed the back of it.

"You will be darling. You'll find someone who will take my place and care for you as much as I do, and we'll meet again someday" he said, tears racing eachother to see which could escape first. "It won't be the same without you" "But it'll be just as magical, I love you so much Y/N, don't forget about me okay?" "How could I" you said and he smiled. "That's my girl".

You two sat in silence for a while, enjoying whatever time you have left with one another. "I'm sleepy" he said, one hand reaching up to cup your face. You felt your heart slowly break as tears filled your eyes once more. "It's okay Freddie, you can sleep now, I'll be right here" you smiled, trying to be strong for him. You smiled so his last memory of you would be a happy one. With whatever strength he had left, he pressed one last kiss against your lips, confessing his love for you one last time as he slipped away.

Then and only then did you allow yourself to break. Holding onto him, tears kept rolling down your face, no matter how hard you tried to stop them. The silence carved out a hole right from your chest, leaving you with nothing but emptiness and memories of your lover. How could you have known when he said he'll love you for the rest of your lives, he only meant for the rest of his?