Chapter 3

We sat down side by side near the shallow waters of the lake.I took off my sandals and folded the bottom part of my jeans, so that I could dip my feet in the water.

"You are a very beautiful girl, you know that?" Jace told me, as he caressed my cheek and moved a few strands of hair that had fallen over my face.

"Thank you," I replied, feeling a light blush falling over my face.

"I hardly see any rogues who are girls, much less have them traveling alone."

I wasn't looking at him. So far, he hadn't tried anything, but my best shot of taking him on, was running. 

Yes, it had been a very bad idea to come alone with him.

"Yeah?" I simply asked.

"Dylan, The Alpha, is not a very forgiving or generous person. But, he is my best friend. I'm sure if you ask permission to be part of the pack, and with my influence, you could stay here permanently."

I turned to look at Jace. He was being serious.

"What would the price for that be?" I asked, knowing I wouldn't like his answer.

"I really like you. We could give us a try and see if it works out," Jace replied, shrugging.

"Thank you, but I'm not interested." I smiled and tried to look friendly. I didn't want to rile him up, or get him angry.

"You might become interested later. Maybe you could stay a few more days, and give the town a chance?" I searched his face trying to find answers to my questions. 

He was being nice about it and giving me an option.

"I'm not looking for a relationship at the moment. Besides, didn't you say your Alpha had to approve if I stayed any longer?"

"All we have to do is ask for permission to let you stay. For sure he'll say yes," Jace told me.

"That's a rule breaker for me. I don't want to meet your Alpha."

I put my hands on the ground behind me and rested my weight on them- trying to absorb the sun that fell over the lake.

"We could hold it off until you're ready then. As long as you keep out of the forest and out of sight from the pack, we should be safe."

I looked at Jace, trying to think of the possibility of staying.

Yes, I was three states away from home. It still felt like at any moment, they could come after me and take me back. 

I have considered the pack wanting my death for treason. I ran away like a coward. I'm sure that made no one happy.