Chapter 45

"What do you think about that?" I asked Blake as I shoved the casserole in the oven.

"I think.... Things are about to get interesting," he replied, not looking in the slightest worried.

Dylan had walked in earlier to say hi to Blake, and to check in on us- even if he didn't want to admit the last part.

He left to his office soon after, because he claimed to get bored by our conversation. He left the kitchen alright, but I knew he was hearing in on everything we were talking about, and I felt him in my mind.

Now, Blake and I were discussing the latest news from Alpha Nicolas' plot against us. Even if Blake wasn't worried, I couldn't help but feel unsettled.

"How can things possible get interesting? I'm serious Blake, this... sucks," I said to him.

He gave me that grin that made him look like a little boy.

"You know, you're only 18," Blake commented.

"Yeah, so?"

"You hardly ever act like that. It's almost like if you've been forced to grow up faster than you should. It sounds funny hearing you say words like 'sucks'," he said.

I smiled at him, finding weird the things he thought about.

"Oh, whatever," I told him, rolling my eyes.

"See, that's another one that you rarely say. 'Whatever'," he repeated, in a girly voice- attempting to imitate me.

"That was a poor way to mock me," I fake scowled him.

"I'm surprised you even knew I was mocking you," he told me, smirking.

"Is this your way of distracting me?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow and crossing my arms.

"No, I wouldn't do that. I just don't want you to get too hung up on this. I'm not saying it's not a serious matter, because it definitely is. But Nicolas isn't leaving his pack yet. He's waiting for an ally, and so far- he has no takers," Blake said, reaching for my hand.

"I don't want anyone to join him," I said, knowing that if that happened, a fight would definitely be inevitable.

"As Alphas, we all have other friends who would join us in case of a battle. I have two or three Alphas I can think of. Honestly, I have no idea why no one has joined him," Blake said, looking truly curious.

I narrowed my eyes at him, not really liking his comment.

"You say that like if you want someone to help him out," I told him, trying to pull my hand back.

"A fight is always bad, but in this case its worse. I don't want anyone to hurt you," he said, squeezing my hand and not letting go of me.

"I'm just saying I find it odd that no one wants to help him. I can't help by wonder why."

"Well maybe it's because-" I started to say when the doorbell rang.

I looked at the kitchen door, wondering who it could be. I pegged it was probably someone from Dylan's pack who came to see him, so I didn't bother going for it.

Blake and I continued talking when we heard a lot of racket coming from somewhere in the entrance. I didn't exactly know what to make of it.

Blake didn't waste time putting me behind him, preparing for anyone who crossed the threshold of the kitchen.

'Dylan, is everything okay?' I asked him through our mind link, feeling my heart pounding in my chest.

'It's fine, don't worry. I'm just taking care of something,' he replied.