Chapter 24

"Hey."

"Where are you? Dylan's been going crazy looking for you. You have to come back!" Jace's voice was full of desperation now, as he spoke.

"Is Dylan there? I called him at home and he didn't answer," I said, while I played with a picture frame on Blake's desk. 

Blake was giving me a reassuring smile, and it helped calm my nerves.

"He's here, let me get him. Don't hang up."

I heard Dylan in the background, shouting out orders.

'It's her,' Jace told Dylan, before there was a sharp noise and I heard breathing on the line

.

"Leila?" Dylan said into the phone.

"Yeah, it's me," I replied.

"Where are you?"

"I'm sorry for leaving. I just," I started to say before Dylan interrupted me.

"It doesn't matter right now. Just tell me where you are," Dylan said. 

I could hear his voice coated with something I didn't quite understand. He didn't exactly sound mad, but there was something there that made me feel anxious.

"We need to talk," I told him. 

Blake was smiling at me and he held my hand, giving it a squeeze.

"We'll talk as soon as I see you. Just tell me where you are and I'll come get you right now," he repeated.

"No, it's fine. I'm going back to you. There's no need for you to come get me."

I looked at Blake, hoping he'd let me go if I promised to go back with Dylan. He nodded his head at me.

"You can go, I'm not going to keep you here," Blake said.

I heard a loud growl coming from the phone.

"Who was that?" Dylan asked, yelling.

"That's not important. I," and again, he didn't let me finish.

"Who are you with? Who was that?" Dylan said.

"It's just someone, but that's not important right now. Is it okay if I come back?"

"Tell me where you are right now Leila. Who are you with? It's a guy, I heard him through the line!"

"Do you even care what I'm telling you?" I asked him, already feeling my anger with Dylan's behavior.

"I do care. I need to see you. Where are you, I can go and get you right now," Dylan said, his tone becoming softer.