Chapter 50

We were in public, so none of the guys was able to shift. But as we drove on the road, I could see Wolves running on the sides of the car- but they were in the area that was covered by trees.

"I don't think this is a good idea," Jake said, his voice sounding strained.

"It's not. I'm just driving with you until you reach the end of the town. Then I'm getting out and you can be on your way. They won't follow you," I told him.

"Oh, I'm sure following me isn't what they are interested in," Jake said, pressing more on the gas.

We were already hitting 90, in an area that said 45. I wasn't exactly worried about how fast we were going, but by the fact that the faster we went, the closer all of them seemed to get to us.

A sleek white sports car suddenly appeared behind us. After a closer look at the driver, a smile tugged on my lips, which Jake noticed.

"May I know what you're so happy about?" He asked.

"Dylan's behind us," I told him, pointing at the rearview mirror.

"And that's supposed to be a good thing, because?" Jake asked, looking at me like I was crazy.

"Keep your eyes on the road, and pull over in the next stop," I told him.

"Why?"

"Because Dylan will make you pull over if you don't stop on your own. I'd rather it be us deciding to pull over than for him to forcefully make us stop," I said, knowing that is exactly what Dylan would do.

Dylan was trying to get into my mind- trying to open our mind like, but I wasn't letting him.

"What exactly is your plan?" Jake asked, this time his attention not leaving the road.

"I'm going to test out your theory," I told him, grinning like an idiot.

"You know that dude is crazy," Jake commented, pointing toward the back, which was where Dylan was at.

"You know, for a future Alpha, you sure are really immature," I said. He must've agreed with me, because he smiled, and didn't try to deny it.

"So I stop and chat with him?"

"No, you stop, I get off and you make your way home. If anyone- and I really mean anyone Jake- plans an attack, call me," I said, giving him a pointed look.

"Number?" He asked, pulling out his cell phone from his pocket.

I quickly punched in my new number in his phone, and gave it back. The stop was coming up, and I didn't want Jake to waste time while I got off.

"Ready?" He asked, turning to face me for just a second.

"As ready as I'll be," I said.

Jake pulled the car over on the side of the road, which threw, Dylan and the Wolves running alongside us, off guard.

"Good luck Leila," Jake yelled, just as I was about to close the door. We gave each other one last wave, before he took off without a second look.

Dylan's car was awkwardly parked on the side of the road, because he had been driving too close to Jake's car.

Since everyone was waiting for Dylan's order, no Wolf- that I noticed- had time to go and chase after Jake.

As soon as Dylan got off the car, I almost regretted my plan. He looked beyond furious. His eyes were shifted to a dark color, and I could see his Wolf just waiting for a chance to be let out.

He made his way to where I was at, reaching me in no time with his long strides.

"Are you okay?" He asked, putting his hands on the side of my face.

I didn't say anything, only nodded my head at him.

"Alpha?" A guy said, coming out of the woods.

"You all can go back, Dylan and I can find our own way," I told the guy.

He looked at Dylan, probably asking for confirmation.

Dylan looked at me, his piercing eyes searching for something- but I didn't know what.

"Tell everyone to go back," Dylan commanded.

I saw a Wolf just at the side of the road. I quickly recognized Jace's scent. He and Dylan stared at each other, and I knew Dylan was giving him orders.

They both nodded at each other, before Jace made his way back to the woods.

"Get in the car," Dylan told me, his voice wasn't raised, but it sounded serious.

I didn't fight him back, because I would only make things worse. Instead, I did as he said.

We drove in silence for a few moments, but I could feel Dylan fuming in his seat. He was holding onto the steering wheel so hard, I was surprised he wasn't breaking it apart.

I didn't want to be the first to speak, but I wanted to make everything look casual. Sure, it wasn't my smartest idea, but it was all I had.

"So, is Blake ready for dinner later tonight?" I asked, my voice sounding nervous.

Dylan remained quiet, but I noticed his figure tensed when I spoke.

"I'm still not sure what I'm making."

The silence in the car felt thick, which made me feel even more nervous.

"You aren't seeing Blake anymore," Dylan said, not bothering to look at me.

I narrowed my eyes at him, but didn't add anything else. No- fighting would only create a bigger fight. I needed to approach Dylan in a different way.

Jake said it himself- I just needed to learn how to ask for things.

"Okay," I muttered. I looked down at my lap, and started playing with my fingers, which seemed to have gotten sweaty all of a sudden.

"What exactly were you thinking with the stunt you just pulled?" Dylan asked, that serious tone only stirring my Wolf more.

"Jake is a good guy."

"He belongs to Jackson's pack. I could care less whether he's a good guy or not, he's the enemy," Dylan said.

I could tell he was waiting for my outburst, but it never came. It was taking all I had in me not to yell back at him- to argue that maybe a deal with Jake would actually be a good idea. But I remained quiet.

"Say something! Do you know how much you worried the pack? Do you know how much you worried me?" Dylan said, his voice now returning to its usual tone.

"I didn't mean to," I said, as my way to apologize. In all honesty, I really wasn't out to worry anyone. Jake's visit was as much a surprise to me as it was to them.

The reason I had left with Jake was because speaking to him in public was not safe.

"You aren't allowed out of the house anymore. Apparently, I can't trust you to make the right decisions," Dylan said.

"Okay," I told him, even though I had to bite my tongue, so that the words I really wanted to speak didn't come out.

"That's all?" Dylan asked, looking surprised. I doubt he was expecting me to agree to his words so easily.

I didn't say anything else to Dylan. Several times, I felt him want to say something, but he stopped himself.

When we made it back to the house, Blake and Russell were both outside, along with Jace, Eric, and John.

"Thank God you're safe," Blake said, walking to my side.

"I'm sorry that I scared you. I need to go inside," I told him, and walked away.

I could feel all of their eyes on my back, but I didn't turn to look.

If Dylan didn't want me to talk to Blake, then that was what I was going to do- for now.

Comment and vote if you'd like. Thanks for reading! Cheers!