Chapter 49

"Which means?" I asked him, as I sat on the bed with my arms crossed.

"Look, I don't know what your plan is in all of this, but I want in," Jake said, as he stared at me.

"Jake, I know where you're coming from, trust me, I do. But I'm sure what you are proposing is not a good idea," I told him, honestly.

"Why the hell not? Leila, I'm fucking desperate," he said, running a hand through his hair for the hundredth time.

"Do they even know you're here?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Jake stayed quiet for a moment, before finally sighing and nodding his head. I became alert by his words. The thought of Jake coming and asking me for help, still seemed suspicious.

"They know I'm here, but my dad thinks I came to spy on you," Jake explained, finally taking a seat in the couch opposite of the bed.

We were currently in the same hotel where I had stayed on my first night in this town. Jake was proposing to join "my cause," as he had been calling it.

Apparently, after my departure from Staten pack, other members spoke up about how unhappy they were with certain laws.

Alpha Jackson wasn't handling it well, but he was keeping it to himself, his family, and mine.

Now, Jake came to ask for my help. Not only did he want Dylan and me on his side- but he wanted to overthrow his father. I couldn't exactly blame him, but I still didn't know if his words could be trusted.

Jake was now 19. He was supposed to inherit the title last year- when he turned 18- but Alpha Jackson had refused to step down. Jake said he respected the decision because he knew his father was a strong leader.

According to Jake, lately, he didn't know what to make of his father and his decisions. Chasing after me was a perfect example of things that Jake considered ludicrous.

He also explained that Alpha Jackson and my dad were lying to the pack. The reason everyone was so willing to come and fight Dylan, was because everyone thought I was a traitor.

Alpha Jackson and my father had told everyone that I ran away in order to give Dylan information of the pack, so that later he could go and attack them.

I was furious that Alpha Jackson was saying that. But it hurt more that my father was going along with it.

Dylan had been right. My father was now the enemy.

"You do know that I have to speak with Dylan about this, right? I can't make the decision on my own," I explained to Jake.

"I know that you are Luna of the pack. And from what I've heard, your Alpha does everything you say," Jake said.

"That's where you're wrong. Dylan does anything and everything to protect me. But he rarely listens to what I say. And I know he isn't going to like you coming along. It's too sneaky, and he doesn't trust that."

Jake chuckled, shaking his head. He looked amused by something, but I wasn't sure what it was.

"C'mon Leila, I know you're smarter than that," Jake said, walking toward me.

"Meaning..." I let the sentence hang, because I really didn't understand his words.

"You aren't Nicolas' mate, yet look at all the things he's doing to get you back. I'm sure by now you know your beauty is something to go to war over," Jake said, raising an eyebrow.

"I take offense on your words, because this isn't a game to me. And that comment doesn't explain anything," I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Dylan will do anything you ask him, if you know how to ask right. You're probably doing it wrong," Jake said.