Chapter 63

I came out of the shower, to find Dylan sitting down on the bed. He hadn't said a word since I'd walked off to go shower.

"Jace just called me. The pack is gathered at my parents' house for the barbecue," he said.

I nodded at him, deciding it was best to keep it simple.

I was wearing some jean shorts, and a simple white singlet. Not wanting to change the clothes I was already wearing, I grabbed a plaid shirt from the closet, and some sandals.

"I'm ready," I announced, walking back to our room. Dylan got up from the bed, and followed after me.

The walk to his parents' house was quite- entertaining. Dylan kept trying to make conversation, and I cut him off every single time. After a few tries, he finally gave up on talking to me. We continued on our way in complete silence.

"Luna!" A little boy, no older than ten, came running up to me. I had never met him before, but he knew who I was.

"Hey," I said, waving at him.

He looked excited, and it was making me giddy as well.

I was expecting him to say something, or at least crack a joke. He didn't. All he did was grin widely and stand in front of me, with his hands behind his back.

"Did you need anything?" I asked him, making my voice softer for him.

"Nope," he replied.

After that, he just ran away laughing about something.

"See, I told you I would talk to her!" I heard him yell at a group of kids who were sitting around in one of the tables.

I chuckled at his comment, and his behavior. It was probably one of the cutest things I'd seen since I arrived at Midnight Moon Pack.

The smile remained on my face up until I turned up to face Dylan.

"They were looking forward to this. The pack wants to spend more time with you," Dylan whispered down at me.

He was wrapping his arm around my waist, but I slapped it away. To try and get my point across, I walked away from him.

I went around, saying 'hello' to people from the pack. Most of them would stop and ask me questions. It was nice to see them enjoying themselves today.

The barbecue had been ruined yesterday, with the presence of the Rogues. Today, it almost seemed like nothing had happened.

After about an hour of going around the patio talking with pack members, I finally saw a familiar face.

"Leila! How are you doing sweetheart?" Emma asked. "All of you know Leila, right?" She asked around the group of ladies that were with her. They were all standing around a table, sorting things out for the barbecue.

A lot of people already had plates, but there were more who still didn't.

The ladies cheerfully said "hi" to me, and started making conversation.

I tried to keep up at first- even joining in when I knew what they were talking about. Most of Emma's conversations though, were about magazines, books, or soap operas I'd never heard about.

I ended up straying from the group to catch a break from the information overload I had just received.

I was on my way to the bathroom, when I crashed with someone's hard chest.

"Sorry," I apologized, as I stumbled back.

A manly chuckle made me look up at the person who I'd bumped into.

"Alpha," I respectfully said to Benjamin, Dylan's father.

"No need to call me Alpha, Leila. I'm just Benjamin," he said, offering a smile.

I could feel my face warming up, but I smiled at him either way.

"Sorry. It seems natural to call you Alpha," I said to him.

"What are you doing wondering around in here? Is Emma pestering you with having kids again?" He asked, making my face turn crimson with his words.

"No, not today," I told him, with a nervous chuckle.

"She's talking about- something," I replied, sounding unsure.

Benjamin raised his eyebrow at me, reminding me so much of Dylan as he did that. Of course, it was only natural since Dylan was his son.

"I'm assuming she probably confused you. Emma sure knows how to have three or four conversations going at once," Benjamin said, chuckling at his own words.

I laughed along, enjoying how comfortable it was to be around him.

Once again, I found myself envying Dylan for having the parents he did. I loved my mom and my dad so much. But they were nothing like Emma or Benjamin. 

My dad was cold, more calculating and precise. If he wasn't getting benefits out of a deal, then he opted out on it. My mom, she followed my dad's word like a lost puppy. I had never seen her object to anything he said, or even fight with him.

It was the reason they so easily handed me away to Alpha Nicolas for marriage. His name brought a sour taste in my mouth, so I shoved the thought away.

"Are you alright?" Benjamin asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"I am- sorry. I was just heading to the restroom," I told him, pointing toward the inside of the house.

"Go on in. It was nice seeing you dear," he said to me, before waving goodbye.

I had just left the restroom and was passing by the living room, distracted by thoughts about my pack and my parents.

"Hey, are you okay?" Jace asked, as I passed by him.

He'd been sitting down in one of the couches, with his phone in hand.

"I am," I lied.

He raised an eyebrow, and made his way to me.

"You don't look okay," he said, giving me worried look.

"Do you think they will mind if I leave?" I asked Jace, giving my comment a double meaning. I was sure Jace didn't catch it, because he shrugged casually as a reply.

"I don't think so. You've been here a while, and you've been mingling. They know you're alive," Jace said playfully.

"Do you know where Dylan is?" I asked him.

Dylan had been keeping an eye on me earlier. While I was with Emma, he'd been with a group of men.

"He's probably outside. Do you want me to go and get him for you?"

I shook my head, and started heading for the front door. Everyone was in the back patio. If I wanted to leave without anyone noticing, going through the front was my safest choice.

"Where are you going?" Jace asked- grabbing my arm and making me come to a halt.

"I'm taking off," I told him.

"You need to tell Dylan. He's going to go crazy if he notices that you're gone," Jace explained. He was frowning at me, and it somehow made me feel miserable.

"Leila, don't- don't look at me like that. You know how he gets whenever you take off," Jace said, running soft circles on my hand with his thumb.

I nodded at him, but didn't make an effort to walk back.

"I'll go get him, okay?"

"Dylan and I aren't talking," I surprised myself by saying. Jace furrowed his eyebrows, looking like I'd just said something unbelievable.

"He's a jerk and I'm mad at him," I continued speaking. I wasn't sure why I was telling Jace that, but it was nice to have it off my chest.

Comment and vote if you'd like:) Thanks for reading!