Chapter 68

We ran for almost two hours. It wasn't as long as I hoped for, but Dylan had been bugging me to go back home. 

Apparently the meeting had wrapped up early, and he wanted to know my whereabouts. It was especially a problem, because no one in the pack knew where Eric and I were.

"Should I be worrying about getting fired again today?" Eric asked me on the drive back home.

"Why?"

"The Alpha told me to take you straight home. He sounded mad," he said.

"I'm sorry about yesterday. I'm not sure what Dylan told you," I apologized, remembering the whole mess last night had been.

"Well, he just said I was switching jobs with John. And then in the morning, John showed up at my house bright and early to say that the Alpha had changed his mind. I'm assuming that had something to do with you," Eric said, turning to give me a knowing look, before directing his gaze back to the road.

He had a playful grin on his face.

"He can be easily persuaded- sometimes. That doesn't mean he isn't stubborn and hardheaded. Even though he says I'm the stubborn one."

Eric chuckled, but waved me off.

"Both of you are stubborn. But you have a right to be. It's a title thing," Eric said, confusing me with his reasoning.

"If you say so."

Dylan was waiting outside for me when we got there.

"Where did you go?" Dylan asked. I had just opened the door to the car, and he was already hurrying me out.

"We went for a run. I thought that's what you wanted."

Dylan frowned at me, and then turned to face Eric.

"Where did you go for that run?" He asked, looking between Eric and me.

"The Lake," I replied, and walked away from him, toward the front door.

Dylan followed after me, but made no attempt to stop me. I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, and now I felt starved.

"Where's Blake?" I asked him.

Eric was walking behind us, but he was giving us some space.

"The boys took him into town. They went to have breakfast," Dylan replied.

I turned back to face him, giving him a frown of my own.

"How long ago did they leave?" I asked him, already thinking that maybe I could go and join them.

"They'll probably be coming back soon," Dylan replied.

I decided to make breakfast for Dylan, Eric, and myself. Eric kept giving me odd looks. He looked uncomfortable with sitting in the table with Dylan and me.

I was inwardly making fun of him.

"So, how was the run?" Dylan asked. He was sitting at the end of the table. I was on his right and Eric was sitting on Dylan's left, but a chair over.

"It was good. You were right, I needed that run," I told Dylan, offering a smile.

"I thought you two were going to maybe run here in our territory. Our territory covers a lot of land. There's no need to go and run all the way over at the lake," Dylan said, his jaw clenching as he spoke.

I shrugged at him, while taking a drink from my grape juice.

"Not really. Running near the lake is more peaceful. Besides, I can run freely over there. There's no one watching me," I said to him.