Chapter - 87 | The Atonement

Here's the 87th chapter.

Enjoy reading.

Anokhi had been having intense regrets about her words ever since he left

She gradually admitted to herself that the way she had spoken to him about how he could have saved her was inaccurate.

She may have said those things out loud, but after he stormed out of her ward in rage, she realized she had lost her mind due to her Aastha Mam's present condition.

She had forgotten that she was not only her Aastha Mam, but also his mother.

She realised that if she was so heartbroken for her Aastha Mam, what must Shaurya Sir be going through, after all, he was her son.

No matter how harshly he spoke to his mother, she believed he must be in as much distress as she was for Aastha Mam, because no child can bear to see his mother in pain.

After much self-introspection, she came to the conclusion that her sudden rage against him at that moment, when she ought to have thanked him for saving her, was brought on by her dissatisfaction towards him for "letting" her go in the midst of riots as well as his conflict with Aastha Mam which caused her to go missing.

Even though she still had no idea how he ended up finding her and saving her when he himself had let her go alone, deep down she had a strong hunch, he might have chased after her when she had fled ignoring his warnings.

She was now deeply sorry for saying to him that he might have saved her by "chance".

"Yeh maine kya kar diya..." she spoke up to herself.

"Main unhe apne gusse ko kaabu mein rakhne ko keh rhi thi... Lekin maine toh khud hi gusse mein apna hosh kho diya..."

"Gusse mein aakar maine unhe bura – bhala keh diya... Mujhe toh khud pta bhi nhi ki us dhamaake ke baad kya hua tha..."

She recounted how ferociously he was staring into her eyes when she scorned him for saving her by "chance."

"Jaanti bhi ho us vakt kya guzri thi muhpar..."

She felt terrible as she thought back on these words and now she understood how stupid she had been to ignore him and flee to find her Aastha Mam in the midst of the violent protest rally.

"V... Vo mujhe dhoondte hue aaye honge... Aur tab hi shaayad mujhe dekha hoga ki main behosh padi hui thi..."

"Shaayad main unki vajah se hi abhi zinda hoon..." a lone tear escaped her eyes as she acknowledged that she was still alive, possibly because of him. Her eyes instinctually shifted to her sleeping baby girl on her lap.