◂ PRECAP ▸

As they were about to open the car doors, Bebo interrupted.

"Peechhe toh sirf teen jane hi baith sakte hai..."

"Hum mein se aage kaun jaa rha hai?..." 

An urge to smile was visible on their faces, fueled by the thought of their wishful thinking.

"Mumma Mumma..." Mimi cutely said, pulling the hem of Anokhi's kurta, "Main baith jaau Laddoo ke paachh (paas)?..." she said lovingly, expressing her desire to sit with her beloved Laddoo in the front and watch him drive the big car.

"Shona..." said Anokhi, not before exchanging a nervous glance with him.

"Aap kaise baithoge vha... Vha toh bade baithte hai..."

"Aap toh abhi chhote ho... Mumma ki godi mein nhi baithna?" 

"Mumma... Fil aap bhi Laddoo ke paachh baith jaao..."

"Laddoo light chhide (right side) mein... Mumma left chhide (side) mein... Aul Mimi Mumma ki godi mein..." Mimi explained lovingly, her voice hopeful.

Their eyes widened as they realized what the baby girl wanted, while certain three people were on cloud nine as little Mimi had unknowingly carried out their plan flawlessly.

...

"Kahiye na ACP Ahir... Kya doubt hai..." Bebo asked, intrigued.

"Dekhiye Bebo ji..." said Ahir, casting a sidelong look at Shaurya with a smirk. The look was one of an impatient desire to irritate the supercilious Shaurya Sabharwal just a little.

"Aapko aur Kitty Ji ko Mimi mausi kehkar bulaati hai... Kyunki aap Anokhi ji ke dost hain..."

"Main soch rha tha ki Professor Sahab toh aap dono ke bhaai haina... Aur mausi ka bhaai mama hota hai...

"Toh matlab kaayde se dekha jaaye..." said Ahir turning to Shaurya, "Professor Sahab aap toh is hisaab se Anokhi ji ke bha-..."

"Officer!..." Shaurya interjected sharply, cutting off any chance to let that ACP complete.

Laughter bubbled up within the trio of friends, threatening to spill out at any moment at the MARVELLOUS explanation Ahir was about to offer.

Anokhi fell silent, her gaze darting everywhere except towards him

There was an uneasy tension in the air as he looked at her with questioning eyes, looking for answers. 

Was she also nodding along to the utterly unbelievable, nonsensical theory that our extraordinaire noodlehead ACP was gearing up to present?

...

"Laddoo Laddoo..."

"Aap bhi chaloge na humaale chhaath Kulfi chhe milne?..."

"Aapne pinky plomish kiya tha..." she asked longingly.

Shaurya fell silent upon hearing it.

What was he going to do now? Was he going to refuse his Princess and break the pinky promise he made?

He had never done this. He can't say no, can he?

...

Shaurya was deep in thought.

The way she acted back then, and the way she acted now, made him think there was definitely something bothering her.

Why did she appear visibly triggered often when the words "orphans" or "orphanage" came up?

...

His nerves froze as soon as she said those words.

Shaurya stood there numb, unable to move, unable to feel. It was as if reality had faded, and he had fallen into a dark pit. He had never known about this until this very moment.

"Shaurya..." A startling gasp left Aastha as she took notice of him.

...

Anokhi approached the chair, her heart trembling.

The three friends watched Anokhi walk away. They couldn't understand why she had suddenly gotten up and left.

Anokhi brought it out of her bag and drew it closer to her heart, inhaling deeply

Her fingers shivered; her eyes brimmed up. The time had finally come for the BIG REVEAL...