Chapter 28

Chapter 28

**meanwhile in Hawkins Hospital**

The steady beep of the heart monitor was both a comfort and stressor for Lucas as he took a break from reading to Max who lay in a coma on the bed. The hospital was buzzing with activity since the cracks had opened and they were so fortunate to have gotten a private room when they did. Setting the Stephen King novel aside he grabbed the walkie talkie that Dustin had ensured he kept nearby and walked over to the window to take a look at the situation in town.

The demobats swirled about in the sky like large starlings moving in erratic patterns but not yet attacking any of the people who milled around the destruction working: to put out fires, find bodies and save what they could of the town.

Thinking back on the last time he'd radio'd in he didn't know what to expect in this next status update: People falling in from another time and possibly a dimension? Eddie nearly dying if that same person hadn't landed and saved them? Jim Hopper being alive having spent the last year being tormented in a Russian prison and Will Byers mom having gone there to rescue him..not to mention El and her part in trying to save Max...he was relieved that El had told him that she felt Max was still there, just trapped somehow...the whole day that their plan fell apart replayed unbidden in his mind including the horrible death of Jason..he was an ass but he didn't deserve to die that way..jail but not death.

The whole of it was a lot for anyone to handle, let alone a teenager. Studying the view he squinted at what he hoped he wasn't seeing, the vines were spreading not just on the ground but up the sides of the broken and untouched buildings. With Vecna being a hive mind that was a terrifying thought, him getting more of a foothold in our world. Cringing at the thought of him even being still alive, he wished that he'd been there to see the others shoot him out of a window, but if he had then Max wouldn't be in a coma, she'd be dead.

Pressing the button on the walkie to talk "M*A*S*H unit to homecoming committee, come in Homecoming party OVER"

The crackling of static was quickly followed by a familiar voice "Homecoming committee here, how are things on the front lines M*A*S*H unit? Over"

Hearing Dustin's voice crackling over Lucas sighed in relief, it was lonely here and he missed the others. Sighing heavily before replying "It's starting to look like a damn greenhouse around here and the wildlife is increasing though no feeding frenzy yet. Sleeping beauty is the same. Getting stir crazy over here..Over"

Back at the cabin Dustin sighed heavily, he hated not being able to help his friend but he knew someone needed to stand guard over Max and it wasn't safe for him to get caught coming seen leaving the hospital suddenly. "We're still getting ready for the any party crashers then we're going to get ready for the big dance, when that happens you'll be invited of course. Over"

Nodding to no one in particular Lucas sighed knowing they were right he just had to wait "understood, over and out" he set the walkie aside making sure it was in reach if he needed to hide it from any doctors or if his family visited, surprisingly Max's mom hadn't come in yet, but there were a lot of people missing.

Sitting back in his chair to continue his watch over Max he picked up the novel from earlier and continued to read. He hoped she could hear him, wherever she was.

**back at the cabin in the outskirts of Hawkins**

The rest of the teens and young adults had gone outside to help reinforce their defenses and prepare an area for combat training.

Nancy and Robin and Jonathan were setting up a shooting range for both guns as well as arrows knowing that the group that had "borrowed" from the weapons warehouse had been thorough. Robin was more than a little excited at the prospect of trying out the bows since she didn't feel overly comfortable with a gun even with Nancy's help.

The Rescue Of Eddie MunsonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara