Chapter 36

Chapter 36

It took a while after they had finished sewing the wounds closed, for the fire in my shoulders to die down, they'd applied some high grade antibiotic ointment to the wounds before bandaging them and giving us both some privacy. Uncle Wayne didn't go far, he settled himself in the recliner that he'd slept in and was reading a book that Dustin had found.

The others had turned their attention to helping get some food together, those that had patrolled outside had come back in and helped with cleaning, even managed to start washing some clothes in the washtub they'd found outside and hung them on the porch to dry.

Eddie had started to doze off watching over me, the feeling of my hand holding strong to his had been enough for him to relax a little. I'd heard his soft snores and couldn't help the smile that crossed my lips in spite of everything. I lay there for quite a while, eyes closed as I focused on doing breathing exercises to try to get a handle on the pain and calm myself down.

Before long the pain faded to a dull burn, my mouth felt dry as a desert and I didn't want to wake Eddie. I had little choice but to try to move, which was as horrible a mistake as I knew it would be. Tentatively reaching forward I tried to brace against the couch to push myself up, I had no strength left in my shoulders, just agony and what felt like blades of fire stabbed and spread across my skin. I gasped and whimpered trying to catch my breath "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck..." I chanted tears gathering in my eyes as I fought to catch my breath. Unfortunately I reflexively squeezed Eddie's hand accidentally digging my nails in his hand, waking him with a start.

Eddie blinked dazedly for a second remembering where he was, my whimpered cries caught his attention and his heart broke. He wasn't sure what he could or should do but he knew I couldn't lay like this forever. Looking up he wasn't sure who to ask but he didn't have to; Uncle Wayne was quick to come over, with his help the two of them got me up so that I was able to sit on the couch in between Eddie's legs, my legs draped across his lap, they found and placed a pillow at my lower back.

It was the least horrible option, since the wounds were mostly on the top of my shoulder not my back. Tears tracked down my face as I leaned into him whimpering through clenched teeth as the move sent a fresh wave of pain across my shoulders. He wanted nothing more than to hug me tight but he settled with gently wrapping his arms around my upper arms. After a while I found my voice, "I'm sorry.. Eddie..really tried not to get hurt.."

Eddie shook his head firmly his dark eyes gave me a look that brooked no argument, "no fucking way are you blaming yourself." he said it simply it was a fact, said with much less anger then you'd expected. He eased me back until I was resting against his forearm so he could get a good look at me, watching intently for signs pain.

Reassured that he wasn't hurting me holding me like this, his thumb gently wiped the tears from my cheeks before his lips met mine softly. It was slow and filled with love, his fear and desperation of the last few hours crept in and took over deepening the kiss to an almost frantic pace. Pulling away we were both panting my hand slowly sought his out grateful when he laced his fingers with mine once more.

I knew how much it would hurt but I just wanted to be curled up in a tiny ball right now, utterly exhausted and hungry, I was done with the day. Thinking back to my mission and who I'd rescued in the first place I gingerly turned my head, trying not to flex my neck and looked around spotting Lucas helping in the kitchen. Relieved to see that he was ok I gave into my exhaustion and leaned further into Eddie's embrace, resting my head against his chest I hissed as the movement pulled on my stitches.

He couldn't help the smile that crossed his lips seeing me snuggling up to him even as he winced knowing it hurt like hell for me to move right now. Glancing up he spotted Argyle and waved him over, grateful when he'd picked up on what was needed and handed a joint and lighter to Eddie. Nodding in thanks as he lit the end pulling deeply and holding it until he couldn't, allowing it to ease the stress and fear that had gripped him so tightly as he released the smoke into the air. Looking down he gently stroked my hair to get my attention "sweetheart..Red..here I've got some pain relief for ya.."