Chapter 87

Chapter 87

Eddie watched on as he held Red, he couldn't be more grateful or impressed with Mama Joyce and her support. A small part of him wanted to look over and check in on Lucas, but his horrible words and insults kept ringing in his ears fueling the rage that remained. Looking down to where Red was cuddled up in the shelter of his arms he sighed, "Red..? Sweetheart?"

Being curled up in his arms, the warmth and his comforting scent of weed, leather and cinnamon, I just wanted to stay there, to shut out the hate I could still feel from Lucas..and myself. My thoughts were so loud I barely managed to nod a bit when Eddie called out to me.

My brain felt so fuzzy between complete exhaustion and pain at this point I almost didn't even hear Robin had started calling out and checking in on me, "hey..Red why don't the rest of us clear out of here, work on finding those crystals for the barrier, and putting that salt line down..give you both some time.."

I nodded once more against Eddie's shirt, reaching out a hand blindly relieved when Robin took it and gave it a squeeze her voice soft as she continued "gotcha, try and get some rest..and remember you aren't what he said..none of it." Squeezing her hand in return I felt grateful tears gather and fall down my cheeks to soak into Eddie's shirt as she released my hand and I heard her and the others gather their things and leave the cabin.

It wasn't long before all I could hear was the crackling of wood in the fireplace, the sound of it combined with Eddie's heartbeat and both of our breathing was a balm on our frayed nerves.

Eddie couldn't help the grateful smile that crossed his lips at Robin's idea to give the both of them some peace and quiet as well as her reassurances, he could feel that even as much as Red had started to relax into his embrace she was still hurting from the horrible things Lucas had said. Placing a soft kiss on top of her head he called out to her again, "Red...baby..it's just us now..can you talk to me..please?"

Sighing I reluctantly pulled away from the warm nest of his arms and looked into his eyes, managing a wry smile I laughed softly especially as his brows rose in surprise and confusion clearly not expecting that reaction, "something funny?" Shaking my head back and forth I reached out and cupped his cheek in my palm savoring the way he leaned into my touch as I stroked the soft skin of his jaw, "nope, not funny.. it's just..seeing you there..so calm..patient and waiting after I know how ready you were to jump up and rip Lucas apart...how did I get so lucky to have someone like you fall in love with me?"

His smile was brilliant in response "I could ask you the same thing, from the minute you fell into my life..you saved it..saved me. You're so different, between the magic and the way you see the world..see me, you're so beautiful..your temper...your sense of humor.. and how much we have in common..you are perfect."

My cheeks flamed at his declaration shaking my head "I'm not perfect.."

He shook his head right back at me stubbornness clear in his eyes "you are you're perfect for me."

Sighing, still unable to accept the declaration at face value a question came to mind. "Alright..I'll allow that if you answer this question...I've been wondering it for a while now. If Vecna and all of his mess hadn't happened. Would you still pick me? Do you think we'd still somehow have found each other or do you think this was a requirement for us, all part of our fate?"

His brow arched, he couldn't tell if this was a test or if Red genuinely wanted to know. To be fair she'd never tested him before, she'd always favored a direct approach never double talk or any of that shit, it's one of the many things he loves about her. "Ok.. so I'm guessing this is about that bullshit Lucas said what all you should've changed, either way I'll answer. No matter how you and I managed to cross paths, I would pick you. It wouldn't take much, just seeing you from across the room..the way you walk..your hair...your voice...you've had me hooked from minute one." My cheeks flushed as he spoke unable to hold in the shy smile that crept across my lips at his declaration.