Chapter Seventeen: Catching Up

"To Y/n's return!" Eunbi cheered.

"To Y/n's return!!"

The second year students dug into the feast before them. Warm mid-day breezes blew through the academy field, wafting the scent of food into the air.

"Thanks for preparing this feast, Eunbi unnie," Hyewon smiled.

"Don't thank me," Eunbi waved, "Dayeon ah was the one who proposed it and helped me cook."

Hyewon turned to the aforementioned girl, throwing her a thumbs up before returning to gorge herself.

Yujin and Minho lifted the food containers with their Alleles, rotating it among the students, allowing them to grab a helping of food without getting up. Chaewon and Hitomi heated up any food that had gone cold, and Y/n distributed metal utensils.

"So, Y/n oppa, what did you do on the island?" Dayeon asked.

"A lot of training--and I mean a lot," Y/n grinned, "You guys know how you have three days of mandatory training, Wednesday through Friday? I did it every day: Sunday to Saturday."

"That sounds horrible," Gaeul commented.

"It was great, actually! Although it wasn't too different from training here."

Bae furrowed his eyebrows, "Last time I checked, training here consisted of you getting beaten to a pulp."

Y/n rubbed his neck, "Yeah... It was kind of the same on the island..."

The group of students burst into laughter, leaving Y/n chuckling as well.

"Who was the one beating you up?" Rei questioned.

"This girl named Hayoung," Y/n replied, "She's the same age as Hyewon noona."

Yena tilted her head, "How did you two meet?"

"I actually lived with her for the duration we were there."

"Lived?" Minju probed.

"Eung," Y/n nodded, "She and I lived in a small house that she moved into prior to me arriving. It was a little awkward at first because she was expecting to live with a girl, but it didn't seem like she minded."

Y/n glanced toward Nako fervently shaking her head. Her fingers shook in front of her neck, reflecting the urgency in her eyes.

"But nothing happened, right?" Hitomi said through her teeth.

"Y-Yeah," Y/n scratched his head, "We actually spent more time training than we did living in the house."

"Separate beds?" Nako asked.

"We slept on opposite sides of the room," Y/n replied.

Yujin placed the levitating plates back onto the picnic cloth, turning to the commotion. She glanced at the young frog beside her, gasping.

Minju glared daggers into the side of her boyfriend's head. Her fork trembled in her fist, and her lips pursed slightly.

"Oppa!" Yujin chuckled nervously, "What did your training look like specifically?"

"Specifically?" Y/n repeated, "I learned this really cool breathing technique. It turns the air around me into energy that boosts me; if I have a sword in my hands while I do it, I get a cool element on top of my attack."

"Energy?" Yujin questioned, "Like the energy?"

Y/n blinked, "I don't know actually... I just know that it turns into some kind of energy."

"It wouldn't make sense if it turned into the energy. He hasn't unlocked his energy," Eunbi reasoned.

"But if its transforming something into energy, it's not impossible, right?" Nako questioned, "If he hasn't unlocked his reservoir, there's no saying he can't use it from another medium."