Chapter Seventy-Nine: Wellspring

Hikaru sighed. She eyed Hyewon, Hitomi, and Liz before focusing her sights on Minho.

"I know you four already know the dangers of what we're up against, but I want to remind you to stay on guard at all times." She held a map of IZLand's capital, pointing to a circled section. "The four of you were put under my supervision because we all live in the same area. Minho, Hitomi, I know I can trust you two; it's because of that, that I will not accept failure."

Liz raised her hand, "What exactly are we doing?"

"Doctor Miyawaki suspects that there are hidden bases and passages inside IZLand's capital; that is why they were able to attack Y/n and Minju, and how they got close to the doctor," Hikaru explained. "You are to remain in pairs at all times and watch each other's backs. Minho and Liz, I know you two are siblings. However, your sibling relationship may get in the way of the mission--the mission the two couples went on showed that to be the case. So, I will split you four as follows: Hitomi and Minho, followed by Hyewon and Liz."

"You said at all times," Hyewon commented. "Do we have to live together as well?"

"Because our resources are spread so thin, yes."

Liz frowned. She turned to Minho, hugging him, "I was excited to go on a mission with you..."

"It's okay. We'll go on a mission together when things clear up." Minho rubbed Liz's crown, earning a hum from the young girl.

Hikaru extended two sheets of paper--one to Minho, and one to Hyewon. "We already received permission from your families and set up places for you to stay. Report to me if you find anything suspicious."

The four students bowed before dispersing. To their surprise, their designated homes came in the form of futuristic apartments. From the design to the contents, everything surpassed even what they assumed the richest in IZland to have.

"What is this place...?" Minho breathed.

Hitomi blinked rapidly, shaking her head, "I don't know. Nako mentioned that Ms. Choi has been practicing with designs 'taken from another world,' but this looks... amazing."

Compared to the surrounding buildings, the apartment appeared significantly more simplistic. Instead of stones and bricks, the building used steel and concrete. Inside, the compact design--smaller wood-fire stove, counters, and lack of walls between living room sections--gave more room for furniture allowing the room to breathe.

"I feel like this is what the future looks like," Hitomi commented.

Minho explored the rooms, leaving Hitomi in the living room. Upon stepping into the bedroom, the boy's eye furrowed. He rechecked the rooms, grabbing Hitomi's attention.

"What's wrong?"

"There's only one bedroom..." Minho mumbled.

"One?" Hitomi repeated. "I guess Ms. Ezaki wasn't kidding about us staying together at all times."

Minho chuckled, "Or they might have overworked Ms. Choi."

"I don't get it. Why did you get the sword, and not me?" Y/n grumbled.

"Because you attacked and almost killed a student," Yujin replied. "If you're in danger, I guess they figured you can run away and regroup with me."

Y/n rolled his eyes, "Wasn't my fault..."

"Sure, sure~"

"Still," Y/n trailed. "Aren't we getting a little too many stares?"

Yujin turned her head to the dozens of eyes glued to her. "Not really. The school had no choice but to approve since it was an order coming from the academy."