Chapter Twenty-Seven: Liz

"Oppa!!!" Liz pouted, "This is so boring!"

Minho rubbed the young girl's head, shrugging, "You failed the law exam, so you have to retake the course. That's just how it works, Jiwon ah."

"I don't want to do it..."

"I'll sit next to you the whole way through," Minho reassured.

Minho placed himself next to Liz's table. He opened the book stationed in front of the girl, flipping to the first page.

"Unless sanctioned by the government, no citizen shall activate their Allele in public." Why do you think that is?" Minho asked.

"Because the government can't control that?"

"Partially. It does help the government keep people from acting out, but it also prevents us from becoming a power based society."

"Power based society?" Liz repeated.

"It's a society where a person's worth is based on their power. Take YGE, Starship and SM for example. The worth of a person is based on how powerful their Allele is." Minho explained. "The opposite is here. Because one's Allele doesn't determine, but help, their place in society, we can give most people an equal chance to succeed."

"But why can policemen use their Alleles?"

"The phrase, 'sanctioned by the government' means that the government allows it. Since the policemen work with the government, they're allowed to use their Alleles. That doesn't mean they can use it freely though. There are still limits to what they can do. The same thing applies to us."

"But I can still use my Allele on missions," Liz trailed.

"That's because you're allowed to," Minho replied, "You know how sometimes you're told not to use your Allele?"

Liz nodded.

"Other times you're told you can use your Allele and when. That's the government allowing you to use it."

"This is boring..." Liz sighed.

"Okay." Minho closed the book, replacing it with a slightly thicker book. "How about we touch up on your history?"

"That's even worser!!"

"But you have the most assignments there, so we might as well tackle it. That way the others don't seem as bad."

"Okay..." Liz mumbled.

"Pop quiz!" Minho smiled, "Who was our most recent pillar?"

"Park Ji Hoon."

Minho raised an eyebrow, "And before that?"

"Someone nicknamed 'The Plague'."

"Why was he called that?"

"Everywhere he went, there was a lot of death." Liz answered.

The two siblings worked through the book with Liz pointing at the pictures accompanying the text. Hours later, Minho stood on his feet, stretching.

"I'm going to head out."

Liz tilted her head, "Where to?"

"Dunno." Minho shrugged, "Chaewon noona said she wanted to do something today."

Liz gasped, "Chaewon unnie is coming over?!"

"No. I'm meeting her at the academy."

Liz's eyes danced around the room before returning to her brother.

"Are you two training?"

"Probably not." Minho scratched his head, "She just said she wanted to meet up there."