Pt2Ch3: Dispatched

Y/n stretched his arms, groaning. He surveyed his group with a smile. They talked amongst themselves in small groups, seemingly unaware of their situation had he not been present for the debriefing prior.

It's been four years since we've come together on a mission like this...

"Nako, Hitomi, you two scout ahead. Y/n, I want you on vanguard duty with Riwon. Hyewon and Jisoo will watch our flank, and Eunbi will stand in the middle to listen for anything that approaches," Minho commanded. "Bae, watch from above with Cocona as your defense. Everyone else, stay on guard and be ready to respond to orders."

A wave of affirmative responses sounded through the forest entrance. The two kunoichi slipped into the dense trees, Y/n and Riwon stepped in front of the group, and Bae took Cocona to the sky.

With the large squad behind him, and his vanguard on watch, Minho pulled the debriefing paper from his pocket. He reread it over and over, searching for anything he could have missed. It was obvious he understood the assignment, but he continued nonetheless.

Slowly, the sun began to set. The squad split off into three separate camps. Fires crackled, separating the beats of murmurs around Minho. He half listened in, for one of his peers could say something vital; if he missed it, the blame would fall onto him. The rest of his attention focused on situation after situation and how to handle it.

"Minho!"

The young man jerked in his spot, turning to his radish girlfriend. "Sorry, I was zoning out."

"I could tell." Chaewon placed herself next to Minho. She rested her head against his shoulder, "Y/n took some others to find food. I told him he'd be hunting for twenty-one people, but I don't think he understood how much food he'd need to bring in."

"He likes killing things. He might bring more than he needs to," Minho chuckled.

Chaewon hummed, "That's true. Do you want to sleep in the same cot tonight?"

"Actually... I'm going to sleep with Liz," Minho trailed.

"Oh, that makes sense," Chaewon chuckled awkwardly. She stood up with a quick sigh, "I'm going to help set up the campfires."

With Chaewon gone, Minho pulled his sister close. He tried his best to keep her entertained; to make sure she didn't wander off too far. If anyone were to be ambushed, he feared she'd be the least capable of reacting.

Her carefree demeanor, and pure smile warmed his heart. The trust she put into him anchored on his stomach, magnified by her peaceful expression. She hummed as he rubbed her head, and leaned against him while she looked into the forest.

"Oppa, did Commander Lee tell you what I'll be doing?" Liz asked.

"Because you're fast, she said you'll be helping any civilians escape," Minho smiled.

"Escape...?" Liz repeated.

Minho sensed the disappointment in her voice. He stationed her on his lap, wrapping his arms tightly around her. "The civilians are the most important people. We get strong so we can protect them because they can't protect themselves. That means..."

He looked down, meeting her impressionable expression, "You have the most important job."

Liz's eyes lit up with an excited flare. Though it pained Minho to say things he didn't believe were true, it pained him further to think about how she would react to someone dying.

"Really?!"

"Eung."

Yujin pressed her back against Y/n's, letting off a sigh. She slouched down, allowing her to rest her head on his shoulder.