Chapter Eighty-One: Drama

Y/n gripped Minju's hand tightly. He stared intently into the dirt road, hoping to conceal the blush in his face. Women filled the velvety lit streets--each hinting their intentions with their eyes. Unlike Wonyoung's natural looks, or Yeseo's endearing features, the women carried a seductive beauty on their faces. Makeup subtle enough to hide in plain sight from Y/n pulled his eyes to alluring eyes, while other faces displayed their makeup in hopes of providing something captivating and unique.

The boy gripped the wrapped sheath slung over his shoulder, shaking his head.

Come on. Come on. Come on.

"Oppa? What's wrong?" Minju whispered.

"N-Nothing," Y/n breathed. "Where are we supposed to be staying?"

Minju pursed her lips, "I don't know. Ms. Lee only gave me this cryptic message saying it'll help us find the place. I guess we'll have to ask around."

A hitch in Y/n's breath swept silently under Minju's ears. She could tell something was off about him: his heart raced and he felt hot. But, she couldn't pinpoint his unease.

One by one, Minju pulled Y/n from building to building where she asked for directions while Y/n stood behind in silence. Wherever the boy looked, provocative imagery flashed in his eyes: posters, revealing clothing, seductive glances.

I can't watch over Minju like this. I need to get it together.

Y/n slapped himself, earning both Minju and the clerk's attention.

"Oppa? What was that?"

"Don't worry about it," Y/n waved. "Just clearing my mind."

"O-Okay..."

Minju presented the message to the man, tilting her head, "Do you know anything about this?"

The man leaned in, humming lowly. "That's... Where'd someone like you get this?"

He glanced toward Y/n once more. In a flash, his skepticism turned to excitement--one of seeing an old face. Or, as close as it could get.

"You, boy, are you related to Ahn Hakun?"

Y/n's eyes widened. He turned to the clerk with raised eyebrows, "How do you know my dad?"

The man burst into laughter. He slapped the desk, startling both Minju and Y/n, "I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree! Your father used to come here all the time; I assume that's how he found the woman who made you."

Y/n scrunched his nose, "I didn't need to know that..."

"You asked." The man gestured deeper into the building, "I have a room open down the hall and to the left. It's the last room there."

Minju pulled her wallet from her pocket, shifting through her funds, "How much will each night cost?"

"Each night?" the man questioned. He turned to Y/n, "You're here more for a one night stand? And she's paying-?"

"Th-That's not why I'm here!" Y/n interrupted. "I'm here on a mission, and she's my partner."

"Yeah, yeah. That's what your dad always said," the man dismissed.

Y/n flopped onto his bed, sighing. Despite the primitive exterior of the area, the room looked well kept. The higher traffic sections were dusted, and the sheets smelled fresh.

"I'll pay for tomorrow," he mumbled.

"It's okay. I can pay for now and then we can split the cost after we're done with the mission," Minju smiled.