Chapter Thirty-Four: Aftershock

Minju rose from her spot. Small blotches of blood stained her clothes causing her to furrow her eyebrows. Next to her, Y/n laid unconscious with his back against the wall. The vibrant red pendant hanging from his neck pulled Minju's attention to her finger.

Confusion scattered her thoughts into a mess of white noise. When did she get the ring? What happened? They were just on a field. But the tournament? Was it just a dream? How did she get the ring?

Minju laid her head on Y/n's shoulder, frowning. The pure bliss that shot static through her body grew tainted as reality seeped in.

"Can we go back to normal, Oppa...?"

Kami shifted through the documents in his hands, sighing. He lifted his gaze to the sleeping puppy on his office's couch.

Kami rose from his chair in response to three light knocks, opening the door to reveal Yujin's frown.

"Mr. Shin. Can I stay in your office for a little bit?"

Kami tilted his head, "What for?"

"I don't feel well right now." The puppy's frown and eyes grew, tugging at the instructor's chest.

"Why don't you go home? The tournament was canceled, so you're free to do whatever you want." Kami reasoned.

"I don't feel sick." Yujin mumbled. "Just uncomfortable. Being around you would help."

Kami turned back to his papers. He scratched his head as he skimmed through the Ahn family's records.

Ahn Hakun... Where have I seen him before? Where... Where... Where...

Rei stared blankly into the bowl of ramen before her. Steam whisped into the air from the glistening broth, filling her nose with a savory aroma. She sighed an empty sigh. It didn't mean anything to her. It didn't carry anything. Perhaps it was just to remind her she was still alive.

She tuned into the murmurs that filled the restaurant with a heavy heart. Anxiety bubbled in her chest like a soup of discord. 

Please don't blame us. Please don't blame us...

"Was there actually an attack here?"

"It would make sense. Everyone fell asleep."

"But I heard nothing happened."

"Probably because the commander was there. She's not as strong as Mr. Park but she's still a monster."

"There you are."

Rei turned her head just enough to eye the person through the corner of her vision. "What do you want?"

"Don't talk to me like that." Yan glared. "Mom told me to grab you."

The young girl turned back to her food, swirling her chopsticks. "Go back without me. I'll go home when I want to."

Yan snatched Rei's sleeve, "You little shit-" 

"Am I interrupting something?"

The two siblings turned to Bae who held a steaming bowl of udon in one hand. His other hand sat in his pocket just below the black jacket marked with a family crest.

"Yes. You are." Yan replied.

"Can you step to the side, then?" Bae gestured. "You're standing in the way of my seat."

Yan scoffed, "Your seat? There's a ton of open seats and you're going to sit next to my sister?" 

"Yes."