Pt2Ch32: Return of the King

Kami swept through Orca's base. He captured every body he could find before stopping in front of Baekhyun's office. He burst down the doors with his eyes set dead on the man.

"You never cease to amaze me, Shin Kami--or shall I call you by the more befitting moniker: Shinigami," Baekhyun applauded. "I expected even you to take another year or two to find this place--much less figure out this is where your memories are stored."

"You don't intend to fight back?" Kami asked.

Baekhyun chuckled, "Why would I? The world might not know what you can do, but I do. While you're no Park Ji Hoon, you might as well be--and we all know how everyone would react if he appeared in front of them."

Kami swiped the vial from Baekhyun's desk. Its contents swirled like a dense fog, spewing into the air as Kami opened it. In an instant, everything came back to him. His family, his country, his purpose before disappearing, everything.

"You're not going to kill me?" Baekhyun asked.

Kami's crimson gaze bored holes into the man, shooting pins down his spine. "You were the one behind Yuri, Hyung's death, and everything. I'd send you to eternal damnation, but it's not my job to take you down."

He tapped his temple before pointing to the ceiling, "There have been voices speaking to me from above. Ji Hoon hyung sends his regards."

Without another word, Kami sank into the shadows. He emerged from the kitchen wall, meeting Wonyoung's soft eyes. "Hello, Noona."

Wonyoung stepped up to Kami, towering over him. She cupped his cheeks, squeezing them before giving the man a hug. "Welcome back, Kami."

Kami waved to Jinju and Hayoung. He rubbed Kwangsun's head as the boy hugged his leg. Despite regaining his prized memories, he didn't feel the least bit detached from his new family.

"So..." Wonyoung stepped back, crossing her arms, "What are you going to do, Shin Kami? Are you going to enact revenge on Orca for taking Ji Hoon oppa away?"

"That's not my job sadly. I need to think about what I want to do," Kami replied. He tapped Wonyoung's shoulder with a smug smile while shadows enveloped his body. "By the way, Ji Hoon hyung says hi."

"Wait-!! You talked to him?!"

Kami slipped to the top of an IZLand watch tower. His eyes widened at the razed city. Shortly after his arrival, he felt everyone and everything freeze. Kami smelled their fear, and felt their stares. He turned to the skies, glaring into the deep blue hues. "You're lucky Ji Hoon hyung made that bet. I would have torn everything apart already if he didn't."

Kami dropped to the street level. He walked through the streets, observing as everyone paused to watch him. His first stop became the site where the remaining citizens clustered. Their eyes filled with hope as they met the familiar crimson eyes.

"Shin Kami!! We're saved at last!!!"

With a guilty frown, Kami shook his head. Gasps and murmurs filled the crowd, some turning against Kami as they did the rest of the military. Though he didn't understand why Chaeyeon or anyone would abandon their people, Ji Hoon's intervention--stopping Kami from pursuing the three avatars and righting all of their wrongs--was one he had no choice but to listen to.

"I can't do anything, but your salvation will come. A higher power has plans."

By all means, Kami reached power rivaling lower gods. He was akin to a demigod himself. The gap between him and the next person grew by the day with every soul that died to his hands. So why? Why was he still there? Why couldn't he right all the wrongs? What was his purpose?