Chapter Sixty-Eight: Into Hiding

"No!!" Yeeun screamed. "He's too strong!!!"

She slammed her palm against the ground, sending rippling waves through the solid surface. As Kami began to stumble, Yeeun's eyes glowed fiercely. A target materialized on each of Kami's vital points, spreading a wide grin on the woman's face.

Yes!!!

Yeeun blinked to the side of a pillar. A condensed ball of lightning crackled in her hands, illuminating the room with an electric-blue hue.

It's just like in the dungeon. I don't know what this is, but thank the gods it's here to help me deal with this monster.

Kami leapt into the air, focusing his next attack on Yeeun's neck. He gripped his dagger behind is back, eyeing the charging attack in Yeeun's hands.

I can parry the attack and kill her with my next attack.

Suddenly, an array of blue magic circles spread through the air behind Yeeun. She thrusted her palms forward, hurling a bolt of lightning toward Kami. In response, the magic circles shot lightning bolts into converging points--each focused on another of the targets littering Kami's body.

Gotcha!!!!

Kami twisted his body, wincing as the spears of lightning pierced his body. Holes littered Kami's body, sending him to the floor coughing blood.

With heavy breaths, Yeeun extended her hand, clicking her tongue. The magical circles surrounding her limbs shattered, and the white layer of magic atop her skin dissipated. Her hold on the pillar slipped, causing her to scramble upright before landing on the ground.

Of course he dodged the killing blow. I'm all out of mana too... I can't let him live. He's too dangerous to let run around.

As she moved for the coup de grâce, a heavy weight crashed against her shoulders. Yeeun snapped her head upward, gasping. She leapt backward, narrowly avoiding a sword strike from Kami.

What?! I thought I- It's an illusion.

Yeeun turned her sights to the throne room, eyeing Jinju.

Shit. I don't have enough mana to dispel it. I need to flee.

With what strength she had, Yeeun dashed from the building and into the night.

"Shin!!"

Jinju sprinted next to Kami, sliding onto her knees. She cradled him in her arms, panting. Circles of red spread their warmth into his coat, matching the small crimson pool below him.

"Please... I'm sorry Shin, I thought you could have dealt with her. I should have stepped in earlier. I should have done something--anything."

Kami coughed hoarsely, staining Jinju's cloak with his blood. It seeped underneath and into her clothes, spreading across her chest an ice cold bitterness.

"It's not your fault." With a soft smile, he cupped Jinju's cheek with his free hand, "You did your best."

Sparkling tears of sorrow slipped down Jinju's cheeks, raining onto Kami's with the woman's warmth. Her frigid embrace turned warm to the assassin; for the first time since he held her against his skin, she felt warmer than he did.

"Hey." Kami wiped a single crystal drop from Jinju's cheek, pulling her twinkling eyes down. "You, me, Sumin. We're going to escape from here. To a place far, far from here."

"Your home town?"

"Yeah." Kami's smile grew, "To my home town. I'll introduce you to my family, and we'll spend the rest of our lives together."