Pt2Ch16: Bittersweet Reunion

Murmurs and chatter of the busy tavern popped with a lively tune, spreading an amicable and warm feeling like the fire at the center of the room. On the first floor Kami, Jinju, and the hooded figure ate at a secluded table. Wonyoung accompanied the two children in the second floor, staring blankly with her allele active.

On the bed, Daeun and Kwangsun cuddled in one another's arms. The former wrapped her arms around the boy, caressing the back of his head while Kwangsun slept soundly with his face to her chest.

In between her visions, Wonyoung stole glances from the pair. Daeun's platinum blonde hair and soft iridescent eyes reminded Wonyoung of the girl's father in every way. She couldn't help but draw parallels between the children and her own relationship. The way Daeun held Kwangsun, and the way he snuggled up in her arms left a bittersweet taste in the bunny's mouth.

"You think they like each other?" the hooded figure asked.

Wonyoung rubbed her eyes, dissipating the glow of her allele, "I'm sure they're fond of each other."

The figure grinned, "You can lie though, they'd make a cute childhood friends to lovers duo."

"You've been reading too many books," Wonyoung dismissed. She stood from her chair, patting the figure's shoulder before leaving them alone with the kids.

The figure looked over the sleeping children silently. A gentle breeze blew through the room, causing the two to cuddle closer to one another.

"Cute~"

Daeun and Kwangsun played next to the flame, sticking their hands in before pulling them away. Jinju strained her ears while Kami talked to the tavern keeper, and Wonyoung ate silently. The bunny rubbed her eyes, hissing as they burned behind her eyelids. Throbbing aches pulsed in the woman's head like a migraine, prompting Wonyoung to turn to the hooded figure next to her.

"I'm going to rest. Can you watch over the kids?"

"Of course."

Wonyoung stumbled to one of the many rooms on the second floor. Before disappearing behind the wooden barrier, she waved to Daeun, earning a gleeful smile from the girl.

"Kwangsun ah, do you want to try training?" Daeun grinned.

The boy nodded before stumbling onto his feet. He waddled to Jinju, tugging on her cloak. "Momma! Can we play?"

Jinju watched her son point toward Daeun. She glanced toward Kami, meeting his hopeful gaze. "What's the matter?"

"I think I found a lead," Kami replied. "We need to head out; we can't miss this window."

"Both of us?" Jinju questioned. "Wonyoung's resting."

Kami nodded, "I'll leave a coin behind so I can come back if I need to."

Jinju gulped. She turned to her son, ruffling his hair, "Okay, but don't go too far from the tavern, okay?"

Kwangsun nodded energetically. He waved to his parents as they left with a soul coin in hand before waddling back to Daeun with a giddy smile. "Momma said yes."

"Okay! Let's go!!" Daeun took the boy's hand, swaying her head while they started toward the tavern door.

The pair stepped into the open town center, taking in the busy atmosphere. Dirt paths worn by years of traffic led between each building and down to the houses. At the center of the town, a large well dug deep into the ground, allowing townsfolk to pull buckets of water whenever need be.

Daeun steered her training partner to the back of the tavern where a large open field rustled in the frequent breezes. She took a deep breath, channeling her energy to her fingertips. With her palm as the medium, Daeun inscribed a rune into her skin. It glowed as if it breathed, allowing the girl to pull a katana from her palm.