Chapter Fifty-Five: Mission

Dayeon curled in her bed, crinkling her sheets. Flashes of Y/n's face forced forceful stops in her heart, causing her to toss and turn uncontrollably. Every fiber in her body pleaded with her brain to move, screaming at her to dodge. Hysteria boiled between her cells as they writhed in agony. Every bruise from that day beat at her body; every punch Y/n drove into her elicited fearful whimpers.

A single gasp filled Dayeon's room as she shot up, panting. Cold sweat dripped down her temples, binding her shirt to her back. The moon's light filtered through the seams of her curtains, showing just enough to reveal her trembling hands.

Slowly, Dayeon collected herself. Her breathing stabilized, and her heart stopped pounding in her head. She laid back under her covers, staring at her hands in defeat.

It's been over a year... Why am I still like this?

Dayeon took in the gentle breezes atop the academy grass. She counted each breath, drawing peace in her mind. Lines of reflected light swept through the field with the wind like waves, rustling the greenery. Alongside her, Yena, Minju and Yujin joined in the meditative position.

The wind strained through their hair, carrying the sound of grunts and battle. Despite the entropy seeping from their surroundings, the four girls became one with their wellsprings.

"I had another nightmare," Dayeon breathed.

"You were doing so well," Yena frowned.

Dayeon sighed, "It's been a few weeks since the last one."

She took a peek toward Minju and Yujin, frowning further. No matter how much she reassured the two, they continued to feel guilty. They protested against Dayeon's plan to extend an olive branch to Y/n, reasoning that she shouldn't force herself to be around him.

Despite his scarring acts of violence, Dayeon knew Y/n had a pure heart. It pained her that her fear rooted itself deep in her heart. Especially since it caused those close to Y/n so much guilt. All logic told her he wouldn't hurt her, but it felt like slapping a bandage over a scar.

"It's okay though," Dayeon reassured. "He and I have been getting along well recently. I asked him to train with me a few days ago and it was a lot of fun."

She peeked once more, sighing at the unrelieved guilt in the two girls' faces.

"What's going on here?"

Minju and Yujin's eyes shot open while Yena and Dayeon continued their meditation.

"Oppa!!" The two girls cheered in tandem.

"We're meditating," Yena replied. "You happen to be breaking my concentration right now."

"I saw you guys talking before I got here though," Y/n reasoned.

"He's right," Dayeon added.

Minju pulled Y/n to the grass, resting her head on his lap. Yujin joined in, placing her back against his. While the two girls made themselves comfortable, Dayeon scooted closer. She took deep breaths, calming her shaking nerves.

"Y/n oppa..." she trailed, "Are you free to spar again today?"

Unbeknownst to Y/n, Yena, Minju and Yujin eyed him for an answer. Their eyes silently dug into his skin, boring holes of judgement.

"Yeah, probably." Y/n lowered his chin, grinning toward Minju, "You didn't want to do anything today, right?"

"I have extra training to do," Minju frowned.

"What's so bad about this Gahyeon person?" Y/n questioned.

The four girls shuddered, shaking their heads.