Chapter Forty-Nine: Awakened Flames

A/n: As appreciation for those who consistently read this book, as well as those who consistently vote and comment, I have opted for a double update this week. I hope you enjoy~

-Min [Wontomi8]

Y/n tightened his clasped hands, gritting his teeth. He cursed himself mentally for not being of use to his late sister figure. He never asked for her to act like his sister. He never asked her to care so deeply for him. He never asked for her to leave so abruptly.

His thirst for power diminished like a dying flame. What was the point of pursuing strength if his hunger only brought death into his life? If he doesn't quit, who will be next? Minju? Yujin?

"There's no use..."

Suddenly, a large boom echoed through the cavern. The town's alarms blared, and dancing orange lights casted shadows in the shapes of people and buildings.

Screams of horror pierced the building's walls. The screeching and clanging of metal drowned out the heart-filled war cries of the dwarven men.

What is happening...?

Y/n stepped outside, revealing a battlefield of despair. Dwarven bodies littered the city entrance, fires burned the city walls down, and hooded figures ravaged anyone in sight.

"Oppa!! It's the people who kidnapped Yuri ya-!!"

Minju's shouting halted as the clashing of metal rang in her ears. Y/n stood behind her with a dagger in his left hand. It creaked against the intruder's blade while he glared under the man's hood.

"Move."

Purple markings spread from Y/n's eye to his wrist. The sleeve of royal hues glowed with a malicious thirst for blood. In the blink of an eye, Y/n decapitated the man standing in front of him; he darted around the battlefield, turning men to a crimson mist.

Y/n's rampage came to an abrupt stop as his silvery sword met the blade of another.

"You're a fast one; you slaughtered most of my men just like that."

Kangdae swept Y/n's blade out of his hand before shoving his heel into the boy's stomach. The kick sent Y/n into a building wall, cratering it. Slowly, the markings on his arm dissolved, just as his sword did.

"Oppa!!" Minju shrieked. She sprinted to Y/n, crouching next to him, "Please..."

Chaewon reached the top of the stairs, huffing.

What was that explosion-?

Her eyes widened as the billowing smoke pierced her heart. She sprinted through the ruined gates, spraying orange flames in waves. Her frantic eyes darted from the splayed bodies, to Y/n, to Minho's unconscious body slung over an intruder's shoulder.

A sharp gasp pinched at Chaewon's throat only for an ear wrenching scream of desperation to force itself from her lungs. She pulled the flames from around her, and off the buildings, gathering it into a mass of blazing heat.

It shrank between Chaewon's hands, increasing in luminosity. The blinding orange hue shifted between red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet until the individual colors synchronized into a prismatic gyrating sphere that nestled in her palm.

"GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF HIM!!!"

Chaewon's eyes burned bright, leaving a hazel trail as she blinked in front of her boyfriend's kidnapper. She pulled Minho from the man's grasp before plunging the ball of fire into the man's chest.

Flashes of kaleidoscopic  light surged through the town. The small orb Chaewon held exploded outward, engulfing the man, and everything in front of her, in a beam of rainbow flames.