Chapter 39

After some hours, all of them were at a hospital, along with the survivors of the town.

"How's Shinobu?", Giyuu asked the demon slayer who was there with him.

"She's fine, fortunately Kanao san was able to stop bleeding and stitches her up before she could die.", the slayer replied.

"Take me to her.", Giyuu said and stood up, ignoring all the pain in his body.

"Huh? But--", the slayer was about to say but a glare from Giyuu stopped him and he took Giyuu to Shinobu.

Giyuu and the slayer went to Shinobu's room, Kanao was there but exited as soon as she saw Giyuu. Shinobu was still unconscious, but her breathing was stable and she was looking peaceful. Giyuu slowly sat beside a seat that was beside her bed.

"Go out.", Giyuu said and the slayer left and closed the door.

Giyuu sighed and held Shinobu's hand, tears slowly made their way in his eyes. She was dying and he left her there. He went to others when her life was endangered, she always chose him but he chose others. It was as if the guilt was eating him alive.

"I am sorry....", Giyuu whispered and looked up, trying to not to spill the tears in his eyes.

Suddenly he felt Shinobu's hand wrapping around his and he immediately looked at her.

She slowly opened her eyes and looked at Giyuu, a small smile on her lips which somehow looked genuine, her eyes were filled with tears.

"Should I call Kanao?", Giyuu asked, again in monotonous voice, as if he locked all his expressions away in an instant.

Shinobu laughed at that," Give me some of your expressions too, it's unfair....", Her voice trailed off and tears escaped her eyes. She then, clutched on Tomioka's uniform and rested her head on his chest while crying.

" I am sorry", Giyuu replied, not even knowing what was his fault but it somehow as if he was the reason for her misery. Giyuu slided his hand below Shinobu's torso to support her and patted her head.

Shinobu was crying quietly with small hiccups. After sometime she calmed down, still in that position.

"That demon, uppermoon 2, Douma, it killed Kanae....", Shinobu said and Giyuu's eyes widened at that.

"I wanted to kill it but you killed it and I am thankful, I would've failed. Really really thank you, Tomioka san", Shinobu finally looked up at him, smiling through the tears.

".... It was you who killed him, your poison was the reason I was able to kill it, you did it Kocho.", Giyuu said, caressing Shinobu's head with a soft expression.

"Thank you ....", Shinobu said and again tears made their way in her eyes. Giyuu again hugged her and she hugged back.

Both of them stayed in that position until Shinobu fell asleep, saying goodbye to Giyuu before falling in deep slumber of sleep. Giyuu slowly left her and covered her with blanket.

Giyuu saw his Haori on the table of the room, neatly folded. He stood up, took it and wore it, stealing a glance at Shinobu for the last time before leaving.