Chapter 3: Uneasy Start (1)

Time passed quickly and the day of admission came.

Because everything had already been planned a few days before, all I had to do was check the suitcase, and the carriage had been reserved in advance. All that remained was to bid my parents farewell.

"My dear Isaac. Will you publish the book even when you go to the academy?"

"...Mother, the book is more important to you than me, right?"

"Of course."

"... ..."

"Fufu. It's a joke. Don't make that face."

It wasn't a joke, in my opinion. I laughed bitterly. Nonetheless, she hugged me because she adored her children.

"Isaac. Your father has got something for you."

My father then approached me and handed me a pen.

It looked similar to a 'fountain pen' from my previous life, and the gold frame on the black background caught my eye.

It was giving off a beautiful figure that made my eyes wide open for me, who had always used only the nib.

So, as I alternated between the fountain pen and my father, he explained with a happy smile.

"It's called a magic pen. It has magic that replaces mana with ink. If you can recharge only mana, you can use it for the rest of your life."

"Hey, isn't this expensive?"

Instead of science, magic flourished in this world. Magic could be used to replace complex things like machines and engineering.

However, because magic was not popularised or widely used in this world, it was mostly used by the upper classes.

Even these magical items required meticulous craftsmanship, so the majority of them were created by Dwarves.

As a result, the cost of this magical pen, which my father gave me as a gift, would be exorbitant. It would easily exceed a commoner family's annual living expenses. Even if my father was a baron, it was a massive expense.

"This is insignificant in comparison to the money you have earned. And since it was a gift for you, this was all I could come up with. Your father sincerely apologizes."

"Father..."

"I don't mean to say that you should write hard when you go there, but don't neglect your studies. If there is something difficult, ask your older brother and sister there."

My father gave me advice in a warm voice and held the magic pen in my hand. As he had worked as a knight for most of his life, I could feel his hardened hands.

Then he stroked the bump between my middle finger's first and second knuckles. The calluses I've developed while writing had been dubbed 'pen-hooks.'

"You could even call them scars of glory. Dad is proud of you."

"... ..."

"This is an honor you have earned for yourself, not through the efforts of others. So act as if you are proud of yourself."

"...yes."

Being born and raised by such wonderful parents was an honor and a blessing. Nothing was more important than growing up with loving parents.

Even in my previous life, my family vanished before I could repay the favor, but not in this one. I boarded the pre-booked carriage after sharing a deep hug with my father.

"Then I'll go!"

"Take care of yourself! When it's vacation, come back with your brother and sister!"

"If there's anything, call us! Stay healthy!"