Chapter 47: Crisis (6)

It was after my conversation with the Michelle siblings had ended. Isaac and Nicole had left earlier, but the royal siblings were still sitting there.

However, the seating arrangement had changed a bit. Rina, who had originally been sitting next to Leort, was now sitting across from him in Nicole's seat.

Rina watched Leort drinking his tea calmly across from her with a model soft smile on her lips.

"Oppa."

"Yes?"

Leort put down his teacup and looked at her, raising one eyebrow.

Rina threw away her poker face and looked like she didn't feel comfortable and grumbled like a child.

"Why did you tell them the truth? Honestly, you could have just kept it a secret."

There was no need to tell the siblings this information. In fact, not telling them and keeping it a secret could have been a win-win for both parties.

However, Leort did not do that. He had set up the meeting to confirm things, but it only made everyone more suspicious. Even Rina, who was watching from the side, couldn't figure out what Leort was thinking.

"How do you think they will see us? They will think we are people who use authority to oppress others. What if Baron Michelle gets angry and stops the serialization?"

"Oh, that? Don't worry about it. Although Isaac and Nicole don't know, Baron Michelle knows our royal family very well."

Contrary to Rina's worries, Leort responded as if it was not a big deal. This made Rina even more doubtful.

Shetoo had heard many stories about Hawk, who was known as the Red Lion, and therefore had a vague idea of who he was, but she didn't know the details.

However, Leort said with a nuance that he knows Hawk better than herself. She wondered if he knew even more facts because he was the next emperor.

While Rina had such a question in mind, Leort opened his mouth with his typical relaxed smile.

"Do you know why Baron Michelle retired early?"

"Roughly. I heard he retired early because of PTSD. At least, that's what I know."

PTSD, a post-traumatic stress disorder often experienced by soldiers who frequently go to the front lines and overcome death. Hawk is also known to have retired early due to the worsening of PTSD, at least 'externally'.

No matter how many dragons he defeated, or how he drove out the invading beastmen forces from the borders, he was ultimately only human. It's normal to suffer from pain when he saw too many colleagues die during his knight life, and his hands were also stained with blood.

Moreover, he received numerous political pressures due to his fame. Especially since he was a commoner, some rude nobles pressured Hawk and treated him as if he was not allowed to live.

Even in the royal family and the military, they desperately tried to prevent his retirement, but Hawk refused stubbornly. In fact, he visited the temple once a day until his symptoms improved, which shows how serious his condition was.

"You probably know that. But the reality is different. One big incident happened."

"An incident?"

"Yes. We thought Baron Michelle had driven out all the beastmen beings living in the border area, but half of it was right and half was wrong. Some of the escaped beastmen infiltrated the empire."

"No way... does that mean..."

Rina's expression stiffened as she realized what Leort was trying to say. She hoped it wouldn't be the worst-case scenario she was thinking of.