Chapter 79: Requilis (3)

It is a fact that everyone knows, but once I focus, it's hard for me to get out of it on my own. My parents used to say that I was so good at concentrating that I could stay focused even if there was an explosion next to me.

However, it's not always an advantage, and depending on the situation, it can also be a disadvantage. For example, there have been times when I was so immersed in something that I didn't even realize it was time to eat, and I ended up skipping meals. If someone saw me doing that, they might think I was being rude.

So, unless I'm alone, I rarely get the chance to fully concentrate. Even when I read in the guest room, I expected Sebastian to call me later.

"Young friend, you seem to be interested in history?"

"... ..."

"I usually read Xenon's Biography, so it's amazing."

And now, my excellent concentration has become a disadvantage. In the worst possible situation.

I exchanged glances with a middle-aged man who smiled at me with a knowing look. He had a gentle yet sharp impression and even his white hair had a blue tint.

If you had to depict the image of a "gentleman," he would probably not hesitate to use the man in front of him as an example. His suit fit him perfectly, and his appearance was very clean-cut.

'...Huh?'

For a moment, I took my gaze away from the man who might have been praising or indirectly criticizing me and looked to my left and right. I saw Sebastian standing upright with a neat posture, and Marie making a somewhat pathetic expression. Only then did I realize the situation belatedly, and I couldn't help but be flustered.

The owner of the household and Marie's father, the Duke of Requilis, came to find me personally while resting in the guest room.

'What, what is it? Why leave the drawing room and come here yourself?'

Sebastian brought me not to the drawing room but to the guest room. It was a space prepared by the homeowner for the guests to rest comfortably, a kind of lounge with various amusements.

If the owner of the mansion wanted to see a guest, they should invite them to the reception room through a servant. I knew that and was able to concentrate on my book without worry.

But the Duke of Requilis did not do that. For some reason, he did not invite me to the reception room but came himself. Of course, it wasn't impolite for the owner to come to the guest room himself. If they couldn't uphold the formality due to circumstances, it wasn't uncommon for them to come directly like this.

However, it was my mistake not to have known that the Duke of Requilis was going to do that. It was a situation where my unique concentration turned into a weakness.

"If I disturbed you while you were concentrating on reading, then I apologize."

While I was sorting through my thoughts one by one like tangled threads, the Duke of Requilis opened his mouth with a monotonous voice.

While he might have spoken casually and idly, the resonance of his voice was quite substantial, perhaps due to the reverberating acoustics of the room. Thanks to that, the tangled mess of thoughts that had been twisted and knotted in my head, like a ball of yarn, became clear and orderly. With my thoughts cleared up, I was able to perceive the current situation more accurately.

"...Ah!"

I thawed my frozen body and quickly stood up from my seat. I couldn't afford to make the same mistake twice, especially after already being rude once.