Chapter 45: Crisis (4)

"Isaac. Did she catch you by any chance?"

As soon as the appointed time of 6 o'clock arrived, Marie went back to the dorm, leaving just the two of us, and Nicole asked me a question as we were left alone. When I shifted my gaze to her, I could see a worried and anxious expression on her face.

It seems that she was worried that the secret might have been discovered after seeing the friendly relationship between me and Marie. However, contrary to her worries, except for a few mistakes, I haven't been caught.

"Don't worry. I haven't been caught. So far we're just friends, friends."

"...Really?"

As Nicole expressed her doubts, she gave me a suspicious look. Seeing that, I felt a little bewildered.

Who does she think is a loner with no real friends? I also knew that my social relationships weren't that great, but seeing Nicole giving me that kind of look made me feel a little hurt.

"What is that look? You don't seem to trust me."

"Well... forget about it. Anyway, she doesn't know anything about your secret, right?"

It didn't seem like an illusion at all when she abruptly changed the subject. I put aside the suspicions that were rising in my mind and replied to her question.

"I've made mistakes, but I'll be fine with just that."

"If it's about the mistake... you mean when you showed her the picture last time? Was that her?"

I nodded silently as she widened her eyes and asked for confirmation.

Nicole also knew that I had accidentally shown the picture to someone else, but she had no idea that the person was Marie. I decided not to tell her, as I thought it would only cause unnecessary worry.

However, I said it would be fine, because I thought it would be okay even if it was revealed to Marie, now that I have gotten to know her.

"Haa..."

Nicole's reaction was somewhat unexpected. After staring at my face for a moment, she let out a deep sigh. I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous about her response.

After a brief moment of contemplation, she spoke to me in a quiet voice.

"...Isaac. Did you get a letter from father too?"

"That the tail was stepped on?"

In response to my question, Nicole nodded her head in affirmation. It seemed like she had also received a letter from our parents, just like me.

However, unlike me, she seemed to take the current situation quite seriously, and upon examining her expression closely, it was stiff and hardened.

Perhaps another letter was sent to Nicole, so could it be that? I shook my head and, feeling a growing sense of unease, opened my mouth with a cautious voice.

"Didn't mother say you don't have to worry about that?

My mother's letter to me reassured me not to worry and that it was just a minor issue, literally "stepping on the tail," so there wouldn't be any big problem. Frankly, except for that, there was nothing different from the usual greeting letters she sent me.

Of course, I wasn't just acting as usual and was being somewhat cautious. Thanks to Marie's sudden and unexpected question earlier, it was almost a big disaster, but I managed to get through it safely for now.

Nicole looked even more embarrassed as she saw my reaction. Her expression resembled that of parents who had just put their child out by the river.

"...Isaac. Do you know what it means to have your tail stepped on?"