Chapter 90: Exhibition (2)

As mentioned before, being an artist is a costly job. To create one's own work, tools are necessary, and even the cost of those tools is not insignificant. Furthermore, artists often have strong convictions or philosophies of their own, which can lead them to discard completed works. As a result, money goes out while the quality of the artwork may suffer in a vicious cycle.

Due to this structure, art has come to be perceived as a culture enjoyed by nobility or the affluent, as long as they do not indulge excessively in gambling or luxury. Therefore, most famous artists are known to be from the upper class or the wealthy. As a result, art was once a luxury of the nobility and even theatrical and dramatic performances were similar.

However, after the Jayros Revolution in the Kingdom of Ters, culture spread to the entire nation and there was an increase in people from the common or lower class who pursued a career in the arts. Of course, unless they possessed exceptional talent, it was almost impossible to succeed, and most ended up abandoning art and moving on to other means to earn a living.

In order to sustain art, one needs money, but one also needs those who recognize their work in order to earn money, facing such an ironic situation. Nevertheless, there are artists who consistently create their own works in the midst of such circumstances.

In the first place, many artists have chosen honor over money. This is why artists from common or lower class backgrounds tend to have strong determination and unwavering convictions or philosophies of their own. In addition, they possess inexhaustible patience and stamina.

These artists fall into one of two categories. They either endure and eventually give up, or they succeed and make a name for themselves among the public.

People in this world may praise the latter case as the spirit of an artisan or something, but for someone like me with memories from a past life, it can be summed up in just one word.

'pervert'

"...What is this?"

And as soon as I entered the village, I could clearly experience what kind of results these perverts can achieve with time, money, and inspiration.

As I stood at the entrance of the village, staring blankly at something that confidently occupied the space, Cecily, who was standing next to me, spoke up.

"It's a statue."

"I know it's a statue. But why is it so... big?"

Marie responded on behalf of me to Cecily's comment. But she too was mesmerized by the imposing statue, just like me, unable to take her eyes off it.

I stood there for a while, seemingly transfixed, observing the statue carefully.

To describe the appearance of the statue I am looking at now, it depicts a young man who seems to be hitting a middle-aged man with a club.

The young man seems to be trying to block the attack with a dodgy posture, as if telling the middle-aged man not to hit him, and the middle-aged man is swinging the club with an expression of excitement.

The most remarkable thing here is not just the well-detailed muscles, but the expression. Whether I should say it is overflowing with liveliness or it was sculpted based on a real person's expression.

Above all, the quality is so astonishing that I doubt if it's appropriate to call this a "statue".

"There's a plaque here too. It says... 'Xenon, who is training under the master'?"

Cecily, who found a plaque while admiring the statue, explained to us.

Although I had already guessed it just by looking at the statue, I never thought that it would vividly depict a scene from the beginning of Book 1.