Chapter 177: Trap (1)

After the publisher's CEO sent the letter, the elves, who had been quietly tracking him, set out to trace its whereabouts without knowing what was happening at the mansion.

At one point, when the man intentionally tried to mislead their route, they almost lost track of him, but they were elves – masters of magic. By using magic, they could easily track him, including the flow of mana in his footsteps. If that wasn't enough, they could use even more advanced magic, so the difficulty was not an issue.

"The path continues here."

A fair-haired elf male with shoulder-length hair murmured while looking at the entrance of the mansion. His eyes reflected the imposing door firmly closed.

In front of the gate, guards stood motionless, though it was a dazzling night with stars shining brightly. Despite the darkness, the elves could see as clearly as in broad daylight. Of course, this was also thanks to magic.

"By the way, wasn't this territory the place where the exhibition was held?"

"That's right. It was a few months ago when there was an exhibition for Xenon. Such a ridiculous thing to hold an exhibition just for one writer."

Another elf male asked the group, and an elf woman with brown hair laughed and replied. Her stereotypical elvish attitude was rather condescending.

'A bit unsettling, though...'

The elf male named Mael muttered inwardly as he gazed at the mansion's gate. The process of successfully tracking and reaching the mansion was smooth.

The problem was that it was too easy and straightforward. The messenger's attempts to alter their route to delay time were meaningless in the face of magic. To erase tracks cleanly, they needed magic at least on par with his. That's why he felt even more uneasy. Currently, Xenon was believed to be a prophet or someone related to the future, so there was no way he could fall prey to mere 'tracking.'

Unlike the other companions, Mael couldn't help feeling uneasy because the others were understimating Xenon. Of course, it was a fact that he was overestimating him, apart from his true feelings.

"Now, what should we do? Should we go in when it gets bright?"

"No, we should go in right away. We might fall into a trap if we wait. Is there protective magic here?"

"There's some, but it's at a basic level."

The elf woman, Lena, answered the leader's question. The protective magic was at a relatively high level from a human perspective, but it was difficult for it to function properly in front of them. They were not ordinary elves but personnel dispatched directly from the Council of Elders.

Even though they were already elves with extraordinary abilities, their powers were even more formidable. They might not be as strong as warriors, but they were more than capable enough to be considered a formidable force.

The elf leader, Kalas, wore a confident smile, feeling that the task was going to be easy. Of course, even if there was protective magic, it was probably just some kind of human-level enchantment, easily surmountable.

"It seems the task is becoming easier. Everyone, follow me. First, let's check the first floor."

"Do you think Xenon is really here?"

"It doesn't matter if he's not. Since the trace ended here, there must be something."

Lena chuckled confidently and waved her hand. Then her body temporarily turned transparent and eventually vanished.

Although since she wasn't hiding her body in the darkness like a Dark Elf, a faint afterimage remained. Even so, it would be difficult for anyone without keen eyesight to detect it.