Chapter 23: Human (2)

I discovered one thing while living at the academy. Cecily was a mischievous, mean-spirited person when she sensed someone's weakness. She was a model of a polite princess when using respectful words to me, but once she let go of those, she was always good at pulling pranks.

"You can be honest. You know I'm pretty. That's why you stared at my face earlier, right?"

"...that's not it."

"Then why is your face red?"

It was the same even after the Anthropology lecture was over. Cecily's mischief continued all the way to the school cafeteria. She urged me in a persistent voice, determined to hear my ruffled response with my own mouth. I denied it as much as I could, even as I vividly felt my face turning red again with every word she spoke. It was because I couldn't predict what kind of prank would occur if I simply affirmed it.

When I denied it until the end, Cecily made a puzzled expression. "You called me big sister (Noona) the other day, so why aren't you answering now? I don't understand."

"It's not the same now as it was then. And there are others who are watching." Even as I said that, there were students whispering around us.

I'm not exaggerating, but just by looking around, I could feel many students' gazes directed toward us. Naturally, it was because of the beautiful Cecily, who was friendly with me. Cecily was the princess of Helium, and coupled with her striking appearance, she had been a hot topic since the entrance ceremony, so many people are naturally curious about her.

Naturally they all wondered why such a person got along with an unknown male student like myself. Rumors spreading within a school setting were a natural occurrence, however. Because it's been about three weeks since the entrance ceremony and there weren't many Literature students as there are Martial Arts students, gossip about Cecily and myself must have already spread as quickly as it could.

'I don't have a big problem yet, but...' I also have ears, so I vaguely know what my current reputation is. A red-haired person of interest to the professors and at the same time, an unlucky redhead to the very same students. These are all stories I heard by chance in a restaurant the other day.

Right now, they seem to be watching because of Cecily and Rina, but you never know when it might explode. The students enrolled in Halo Academy are emotionally imperfect teenagers and there are many children from high-nosed aristocratic families. Even if they don't go overboard with their petty jealousies and dislike right now, a guy named Jackson was already displeased with me.

When I finally became honest about it and explained the situation to Cecily, her reaction was:

"...Really?" Cecily seemed to grasp the true atmosphere only after hearing my words. Seeing her slightly frowning face, it was clear that she didn't like it. As Cecily also looked around, the whispers died away abruptly.

I glanced at her and, in a cautious voice, suggested to Cecily, "If you're uncomfortable, let's part ways."

"No. There's no problem with this. It's always been the case in Helium."

"Helium doesn't have any nobility except for the king, right?"

She replied with a soft smile, "Even if there are no nobles, that doesn't mean there's no way to keep the king in check." It was probably something I didn't know about. Of course, it's not that I don't get it. I nodded my head as if I Knew it, and she smiled faintly. It was close to saying thank you for not asking, but after a while, her smile deepened and her playfulness began to show through again. I wanted to see that, but it was already too late.

"So what's the answer to my question from before? When are you going to admit it?"

"......"

"If you keep your mouth shut, I'll do something weird and probably embarrassing to you."