Chapter 9: Kkondae (1)

"...Why do you ask that?"

Is this how it feels like to have a sinking heart and the whole body's blood cooling down?

I couldn't hide my trembling voice and asked Rina. And I didn't forget to gently cover my right hand.

Rina looked puzzled for a moment when I was embarrassed, but soon answered my question.

"Most of the officers working in the Imperial Palace have calluses there. I wondered if Isaac had the same reason."

Like she said, the typewriter was not yet invented here, so writing was mostly done by hand only. Therefore, calluses inevitably formed in the hands of those who filled out the documents, especially the officers working in the Imperial Palace.

In the face of an impending crisis, I quickly spun my brain. Fortunately, Rina had no idea that I was writing a book. If I answer this in an understandable way, I can pass the situation wisely.

After much deliberation, I was finally able to speak the correct response.

"...It's from studying. I have a habit of taking notes while studying. It makes it a little easier to remember."

"Hmm... Really? Well, it's not unusual to have that habit if you want to acquire complete knowledge. I used to do that when I was being educated at the Imperial Palace."

Fortunately, it appears to have worked to some extent. Even though I was a suspect because of my reaction, it's better than being caught.

After that, just as I was about to breathe a sigh of relief, Marie, not Rina, chimed in.

"But now that I see it, your hands are so pretty. Can I take a look?"

"Huh? My hand?"

"Yeah. Let's compare it to mine."

Marie extended her hand and encouraged me. I was initially perplexed, but I quickly accepted it because it was an insignificant issue.

"Wow, your hands are so pretty. I think they're prettier than mine."

Comparing her own hand with mine, one marveled at her sincerity. Probably because of the pen-hook, the hand itself was very pretty.

Not only were my fingers long and thin, but the skin was white, and the idiom 'seomseomogsu' suited me well.

[T/N: 'seomseomogsu' or '섬섬옥수' is an idiom that means 'thin(섬) and slender(섬) woman hands(수), like a jade. (옥)]

I scratched my head and smiled shyly at Marie's admiration. Even my mother praised it, but when I heard it from others, it made me feel embarrassed for some reason.

"Are you taking care of it separately?"

"No. It's just been like this from the beginning."

"I'm so jealous. My skin cracks easily and it annoys me."

Marie grumbled, but her hands were also very pretty. Since she was a duke's daughter, she must have paid attention to various aspects as well as her appearance.

Perhaps it was the change in atmosphere that caused my heart, which had been pounding with tension, to gradually calm down. I chuckled as Marie looked at her hand.

"Oh, right. Cecily, can you show me your hand too?"

"Huh? Me?"

"Yeah. I'm curious what a demon's hand looks like."

Cecily blinked her red eyes in response to Marie's surprising question. She didn't seem to mind that she spoke in a casual manner.

Cecily, hesitating for a moment, cautiously showed her hand. However, there were far too many calluses on her hand for a princess of a country. The palms, in particular, were rough and cracked, much like a tortoise's shell.