Chapter 34: Alcohol is a Problem (1)

After chatting with Edin and the others, the event of Gathering began in earnest. The actual event was just a short speech by the moderator, a few words of encouragement to relax and enjoy the venue, and a band playing music.

However, the atmosphere in the auditorium became more ripe after the speech was done. Before this, there was a bit of a raucous atmosphere, but that changed after the band started playing.

But my interest in the music they were playing and the instruments they were using was fleeting, and I was busy chatting excitedly with Edin.

"You've read a lot too, Mr. Isaac. That's great."

"No. Mr. Edin is more amazing. I have a lot of free time because I am a literature person, but you are not, by your own admission."

"Thank you for the compliment. Have you read the autobiography of Alexis the Explorer?"

"Of course, I have read it. I especially enjoyed the part about eating caterpillars and them tasting like vomit."

"Oh. I see you remember that part, so..."

As I talked to Edin, I learned a few things: he's a bookworm, just like me. Moreover, his favorite genre was autobiography or stories of explorers, so we had an easy conversation.

Because of that, I didn't notice the time passing as we chattered, so I naturally ended up drinking a few glasses of wine. I think I had about five while Edin finished only one.

"Mr. Edin, have you ever fought a monster?"

"Once upon a time, I went hunting with my father. I was a bit surprised when an orc suddenly appeared. But it wasn't too difficult."

"Oh... and what about ogres? I heard ogres are really strong?"

"Well? I've only met one, and at that time we cooperated with other knights to subdue him."

Because of this, time passed and I was able to last to the end. Unlike Jackson, Edin had a firm grasp of the concepts and a cool personality that made me feel comfortable with him.

Edin, too, seemed to like my hesitant approach and broke out into a hearty laugh every now and then.

"Hahaha! That's true... Ah, right. Mr. Isaac? I was wondering about something, if I may ask?"

"Sure. What is it?"

Was it because I had too much wine? Normally, I would have been a little wary, but the sweetness of the wine took over my brain and I didn't think about it. The wine was not bitter, but sweeter, and I'd had too much.

Meanwhile, Edin looked around for a moment, then, realizing that no one was near us, leaned in close and asked me in a whisper, "A while ago, Lady Reqilis and Princess Cecily fought over you."

"Uh..."

"Can you tell me why they fought then?"

It felt like my mind, which was a bit hazy, started clearing up. I shook my head vigorously after hearing the question, then checked his face. There was no malice in his expression, just pure curiosity. The expression on his face was so bland and cool that it was difficult to distinguish his expression, but I could tell this much.

In response, I pressed my finger firmly to the bridge of my nose and opened my mouth. It must have been because I'd had too much wine, and my head was spinning.

"It's just... Cecily-noona was joking with me. Marie saw that and told her to take her hands off me. You know, linking arms is something lovers do, right? But demons are different. Marie was worried about that, too, so she told her, and me, to pull away."