Chapter 122: Book 11 (3)

When I was appointed as a recommended student to Professor Elena, my personal time became very relaxed. I didn't need to obsess over my grades and could just take the classes I wanted, so I could invest a lot of time in writing. Of course, if Elena called me, I had to run to the lab right away. Since she appointed me as a recommended student, I was practically her assistant. But as a fresh-faced newcomer, I didn't act like Cindy and make a fuss about it.

So when I wanted to take a break from writing, I would visit Elena's lab. Marie and Cecily usually met me after her classes were over, so it was okay until then. Teaching Cindy writing skills in the lab was an everyday occurrence, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Elena would ask me for my opinion or we would discuss things together.

Finally, despite what I thought of myself, I showed signs of having exceptional knowledge and a unique perspective. Elena even gave me various papers and books to read, as if she wanted to cultivate me as a graduate student.

Originally, it was just a discussion, so it was impossible to compare with Elena, who had accumulated knowledge for hundreds of years. She mainly focused on my unique perspective.

"But I'm a recommended student, so I'm okay. But what exactly do other students do when they become third-year students? The number of students seems too small."

"It's simple. They become assistants like you and receive knowledge from professors. Professors can concentrate on each student rather than dealing with many students, so it's also efficient."

"So are they taking lectures from professors in the main building?"

"Yes. If you want, I can ask them to teach you. These professors are all my disciples and they will be happy to help."

"...Okay."

I had nothing to say in response to Elena's answer that all the professors there were her disciples. It was understandable, as Elena was one of the long-lived elves.

Afterwards, while examining books to acquire better knowledge, I suddenly had a question that came to mind. It was a natural curiosity that arose as Elena was also an elf.

"Excuse me, Professor. May I ask how old you are?"

"Hmm? I haven't even reached 300 years old yet. Why do you ask?"

Elena looked at me instead of reading her book, her green eyes sparkling with curiosity behind her round glasses.

As I thought about the time when the racial war broke out, I asked the question that had been on my mind.

"I heard from Cindy that there is a lot of conflict between the generations of elves who fought in the racial war and those who did not. Is that true?"

"Um..."

She leaned back in her chair and began to organize her thoughts, gazing at the ceiling for a while. After a while, Elena slowly began to answer my question.

"Half of it is right and half of it is wrong. The race war was a turning point for the Elves to break away from racial supremacy. But as you know, it's very difficult to change entrenched ways of thinking. Especially for the Elves, who live for many years, this tendency is particularly pronounced. In addition, the race war was not so much a result of the human alliance's success as it was the Elves' self-destruction."

"So, are there still racial supremacists among the new generation?"

"Well, there are, but they are generally treated as uneducated among the younger generation. On the other hand, among the older generation, they hate the appeasers. In other words, it's an ideological fight."