Our Thing

(Y/n) P.O.V

The highlight of today was that we were all surprised... And not in the good way for some people... Like me.

SFIT started out as per usual, going to class with Hiro and the gang when the teacher enters the classroom and tells us to put our books away.

"Today SFIT has a special surprise! We contacted all of your parents to come here for a parent open school day!" She stated.

Usually I was happy, usually. But this was stuff that we did in primary school! But ever since last year, I dreaded anything to do with them.

Memories I preferred not to go back to flood in. I hate it... They aren't here anymore.

I never told anyone about this however. I kept it to myself. And now, here I was, about to get watery eyes.

One single tear slipped out when we all heard a sniffle. We turned around and looked to see Hiro, face down on his desk, shaking.

"Hiro are you okay?" GoGo whispered. He shook his head as Honey Lemon stood up and whispered something to the professor.

She only nodded. "Perhaps Hiro can go with you two girls for fresh air and you-" she said, pointing to wasabi, "can get him some water.

With that the whole gang left and suddenly I wish Fred were a student...

I continued to listen about the parent day and waited to be assigned a job like directing the parents and such.

But, my name was never called. "You can spend the day with your family then! Lucky you!" The professor smiled. "Everyone else must help out before visiting their parents"

Instantly we were all dismissed and walked out of the classroom. The thought of Hiro crying came to my mind again.

I changed course of direction and walked to Hiro's lab when I saw the gang leaving.

"Oh hi Fred"

"Hey (y/n), just give Hiro a few...  He is just doing some stuff." Fred smiled. I nodded as the gang walked off to meet their parents. 

I just waited outside his lab and heard him cry again. It seemed like forever that he was in there when Baymax walked by.

"Why are you on the floor?" He asked.

"I'm waiting for Hiro." I stated, jerking my thumb at his door. Baymax stayed silent and scanned Hiro through the door.

"He is in destress: contact with friends and family can help." Baymax stated, turning around and walking off to help others.

I pressed my ear to the door. Still crying.

I quietly opened the lab door and shut it behind me, walking to Hiro and giving him a side hug. He instantly tensed up.

"Hey Hiro..." I said quietly. He calmed down.

"Oh hey (y/n)..." He mumbled.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah..." He mumbled.

"You can tell me, I know something is wrong." I said gently, patting his back.

He lifted his head to show his face, red, puffy and blotchy, I felt bad.

"It's nothing... Shouldn't you be with your parents?" He asked. I sighed at his statement.

"I should... But I'm not... Because I can't..." I sighed.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"My parents aren't... Available..." I mumbled.

"Oh... Usually Tadashi would be here instead of my parents but-" he stopped speaking and crashed.

A pang of fear hit me as I realised Tadashi wasn't here. He was dead... And if  Tadashi always came instead of his parents... Was that because they were to, dead?

"So... Your parents..." I started. Hiro nodded to confirm my theory. "When did they?" I asked.

"When I was three..." He whispered. A long silence was filled after that.

I debated whether I should tell him about my parents also, eventually, I came to a conclusion.

I placed my hand on his shoulder in a comforting way, "Don't worry... You aren't the only one."

He looked up to me from his desk chair as I smiled sadly.

"Your parents to?" He asked. I nodded.

"At least we are together..." I stated.

"Thanks..." Hiro smiled lightly.

"For what?" I asked.

"Being here for me and helping me... You truly did." Hiro smiled, giving me a hug. I hugged back and for the first time since my parents death, I felt whole again.

"So... Wanna hang out together? Just you and me?" Hiro hoped.

"Sure!" I smiled. We both started to play games and invent crazy robots for the rest of the day, completely forgetting about the parent open day that was on.

"Wanna make this our thing? Whenever it's parent open day or father's and mother's day... We just hang out the two of us?" Hiro asked.

"I can't imagine doing anything better." I beamed. We both walked out of the lab, happy and content.