Chapter 143

Tony's POV

I sat in the waiting area, staring at the emergency surgery doors. Waiting. I was startled by a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Gibbs. He walked around and sat beside me. 

"How are you holding up?" He asked. 

I shrugged. 

"Heard anything? How long have you been here?" 

"Haven't heard a thing. Been here for 2 hours. There is so much going through my mind." I answered, covering my face. 

"Like what?" 

"Like what happens if she doesn't make it Gibbs? How am I going to tell my 2 year old she is never going to see her mother again? How am I going to raise 2 kids under the age of 3 by myself? That is, if the baby survives since it is 3 months early. What about the boys? What am I going to do without her?" I yelled, eyes filled with tears. 

Gibbs took my chin and made me look at him. 

"With help DiNozzo. What have I always told Abby?" He asked. 

"Family's more than just DNA." I answered. 

He nodded. 

"You will get through it with help from your family. We will help you." He said. 

About that time, the door to the emergency surgery swung open. I bolted to the doctor who opened them. 

"Any word?" I asked. 

"No word on your wife really. She is still in surgery. She was in pretty bad shape Mr. Dinozzo. The car hit her side directly. I know they stopped the internal bleeding which is a great sign, but all we can do is wait." He answered. 

"Is she going to be ok?" I asked. 

He hesitated. 

"We are doing all that me can Tony. I promise." He said. 

I sighed. 

"However, I do have some good news. You can go see your son now." He said. 

I looked up at him. 

"Son? It was a boy?" I smiled. 

He nodded. 

"He was born about an hour ago, however as I'm sure you are aware, he was 3 months early. Our first priority was to get him in NICU and stable. He is very much stable and ready for his father to come see him. It's going to be a long road to being ready to go home, but for as early as he was, he is doing great." He nodded. 

I smiled, relieved. But then something made me uneasy. I walked over to Gibbs. 

"I feel guilty. I feel like I should wait for Anna to see our son for the first time." I frowned. 

"DiNozzo, think about that. How angry would she be at you if you left that poor baby back there alone. Your son needs you. And she'd want you to comfort him." He answered. 

I looked at the doctor who was waiting to take me to the NICU, then back at Gibbs. 

"Go with me." I said. 

"I can't DiNozzo. Only family can go back there." He said.

 "Family's more than just DNA Gibbs." I smiled.