Chapter 144

Tony's POV

Gibbs and I followed the doctor back to the NICU. Before we could walk through the doors, the doctor stopped us and had us put on these robe like things over our clothes and wash our hands. Once we finally got cleaned up, we walked through the NICU doors. There were not many back there, maybe 5 or 6. The doctor led us directly to the incubator my son was in. When I saw him, my heart hurt. He was so small. So helpless. He was wired to several machines and breathing unsteadily. I looked up at the doctor.

"That's normal. Even after he is released and ready to go home his breathing will be off for a month or so. It's a preemie thing." He assured me.

I nodded.

There were two opened circles on the contraption for doctors to run their hands through and access the tiny child In order to check the wires and what not.

"May I?" I asked.

"Of course." The doctor said as him and Gibbs took a step back from the baby.

I stood over the incubator staring down at the baby and fed my arms through the two holes. I gently rested my right hand on the top of his tiny little head.

"He's so tiny." I said.

I switched my left hand to rest on his head and I placed his hand in my right hand. He lightly gripped my ring finger.

"Hey buddy. It's me, your daddy. You also need to meet your brothers Easton and Aiden, and your sister Emerson. They are all really excited to meet you. Poor Emerson doesn't stand a chance with three brothers does she?" I smirked.

Eyes still shut, he lightly smiled, which made me smile.

"There are a lot of awesome people who aren't very patient waiting to see you, especially Abby. So we have to get you out of here pretty quick ok bud? I'll be back to visit you soon, I promise. Maybe your mommy will be with me next time. I'll see you soon. I love you." I said, looking down at my new son.

I pulled my arms out of the incubator and wiped my eyes with my arm. The doctor put his hand on my shoulder. I turned and looked at him.

"Is he going to be ok?" I asked.

"If he continues to grow and recover at this pace, he will be perfect. However, the mental effects he might have wont show until he is older. Being born this early could cause an array of learning disorders. But you don't need to worry about that right now. All you need to worry about is giving him the love and support he needs right now." He answered.

I nodded.

"While you were with him, your wife came out of surgery. She is in ICU." He said, writing on a piece of paper.

He tore the paper and handed it to me. On it read a room number.

"Take care Mr. Dinozzo. I have a feeling everything will be fine." He doctor said as he walked towards the back of the NICU.