CHAPTER 3: Unexpected Stranger

Frisk POV:

"Ugh. Come on Frisk, we better make it back to HQ before the sun rises once again." Angie said, ringing out her long, wet hair. Her dress clung to her legs, and made it hard to move around, while I had a white button up shirt and brown skinny jeans.

"YOU have to make it back to HQ." I mocked,
"I don't." I reached in my jacket pocket, checking the papers and the flash drive. Luckily they were dry, wouldn't want to come back to the boss empty handed.

"Frisk, you have to get the reports delivered some day.." She said, talking along the shore of the beach, blending in within the depths of the night.

"I know, but sometimes I just wanna go and infiltrate whatever base I want." I grinned cheekily, ducking down and against the wall to avoid the enemy security cameras I've grown to know for the past 8 months. "This one took way too long, though." I sighed, missing HQ.

"The boss knows you'd go straight for the MMO. That's why you can't pick and chose assignments." She rolled her eyes, looking back at me.

"That was one time!" I exclaimed, pouting a bit.

"We've only got a few miles. Luckily, this base was close enough to infiltrate." Angie said, slipping by the last camera with ease.

One time.
That's all it takes to break someone's trust in you forever, and it'll never mend back.

Apparently killing one of the MMO's elites was a bad call, and now the boss won't even let me get near the base!

Fuckin' cowards.

We walked into the woods in silence, carefully not making too much noise due to the constant crunching of the leaves and pine needles.

We eventually split off halfway through the journey to avoid being seen at all times, Angie took the woods, while I took the city, more of a chance of being seen.

The city route wasn't your usual scenic route to a HQ, the city had been abandoned, seeing how it was the closest one to Mt. Ebott at the time. The city still reeked of gases and and littered the streets with trash.

The only one good thing about it is no one can spread any news.

Though, being an abandoned city, a ghost town, it can be very dangerous, even for expert assassins like me. Most fights go down here, and people visit occasionally, if brave enough to face one of the Mafia leaders face on for a bargain or deal.

To sum it up, The city held most of the skilled fighters during the day.

Passing a sign that I read every time I passed through this ghost town, 'Welcome to The City of Monsters!' It exclaimed, quickly being changed from 'moonlit city' to 'The City Of Monsters' due to the freedom and honor of Monsters escaping Mt. Ebott. I guess they expected we'd treat them like they were always apart of our lives.

I chuckled at the thought. No way, no matter how hard you try, someone will always be consumed my greed, especially humans.

I walked though the city, gazing up at the cloudy sky, and seeing the stars above me. I let it a sigh, seeing my breath on a cold, autumn night. The soft, trained steps of my shoes across the sidewalk was the only thing to be heard, along with the occasional cricket chirps.

My eyes quickly dark around at the sound of a souls scrape across the sidewalk behind me.

Now who could be up at 2:00 in the morning? I wondered, slightly grinning to myself.
I begin walking again, quickly re-in acting the movements I was just inflicting, gazing upon the stars, seeing to be amused by the lost city.

Suddenly, as if on que, I hear another set of footsteps, as if trying to match mine, only slightly off step.

I lower my head, tilting it a bit, seeing the shadow of a man creeping behind me, staying a generally far distance away from me.

What a pain.

"Tch." I spat, and broke into a run, silently cursing myself of the carelessness of being seen and ducked for cover inside the shadows of the buildings.

The figure hesitated, fully gaining the idea they had been spotted following me and trailed after me swiftly, soft mumbles and curses coming from them.

My hand twitches, and my soft smile twitches into a bigger one, but I hold myself back, and watch the figure from afar, not knowing they're being watched.

They could probably feel my cold gaze towards them once I quickly found a brick building and scaled the wall effortlessly, gaining the bird's eye view, like I should have from the beginning.

"Damn people always havefta ruin the fun." I mutter softly to myself. The figure looks around quickly, and presses two fingers towards his ear.

"Yeah. She's here Alright." I could hear him say, I slowly reached inside my jacket, gripping ahold of a sharp object from inside, "Nah."

"Yeah." He sighed.

Someone can't get the target required for their mission. I silently giggled to myself

He murmured into the earpiece and walked towards the opposite direction I was walking originally without saying another word.

You have to be pretty stupid if you're going to walk up behind me and try and take me away. Everyone who knows me knows that.

I slowly remove my hand from my coat, releasing the knife,
"Aww no fun~!" I could hear myself say, going from my squatting position to standing back up. If you looked at the right angle from below, onto the streets, you could see my figure in the moonlight on-top of the rooftop.

"Guess I better get to HQ." I spat harshly, not wanting to report MY findings to the rest of the Mafia. The others would just get my tasks.

I turned a bit, the gravel atop of the building cracking under my shoes, creating a soft powder to dust over them ever so slightly.

I break off into a sprint, barely making the jumps across the rooftops of the close buildings in the city.

"How Boring."