CHAPTER 93: Hostage situation

Frisk POV:

Arriving at the Mafia HeadQuarters, I couldn't help but noticing the chaos Sans had jumped us into. We had just 'took a short cut' to the center of the small town, nothing too remote, nothing too far away. We figured word hadn't spread by now.

Oh my god.

Monsters were running wild across the streets. Bits and pieces of sentences could be heard throughout the streets and sidewalks. Monsters were freaking out, running wild as shop owners closed their stores and hid their children. Mothers and children hid and stocked up on supplies, wishing to Asgore that their families would be safe and secure for the night.

But we all knew with Chara here, they wouldn't be surviving the next few hours.

Sentences like "She's got Asgore!" And "we're all going to die!" Rang through the streets from numerous monsters. I couldn't see any monster dust, thankfully. Chara was holding Asgore hostage, it seemed. I flipped up my hood, hoping the monsters wouldn't recognize my own face.

I couldn't be seen as the bad guy here. I wanted to earn all of their trust, not lose it again.

Sans stumbled back, holding his chest in pain following the jump. He started sweating and began having trouble breathing normally. His intake of breaths consisted of large, frequent gasps for air. His chest glowed brightly in the night, glowing a crimean blue, or known as a cyan blue. It's alluring color was almost calming to the eye. Almost as if the two contrasting feelings were meant to be inside the vessel of one monster.

A calm color, a broken monster.

Sans! You idiot! You big, stupid, idiot!

"SANS!" My sentence carried on through from the woods. He had let go of my shoulder, almost collapsing to the ground. His eyes were wide in pain as he stumbled backwards. I lunges for him, grabbing his shoulder in a panic and a rage for him putting his life in danger. I stabilized him and he shakily said a few words that I couldn't hear. "Hey! I can't hear you. Speak up. Are you okay?! Why did you do that?!"

"...G-Guess I'm not going to be using magic for ...a while." He heaved. "At least we're here. You're safe. . . .We're here." He gasped for another swallow of air. A large, loud inhale of air, and a slow exhale, probably to calm down his racing heartbeat.

"YOU IDIOT!" I screamed at him. "YOU could have DIED!" I yelled at him along the sidewalk. "I said NO! I didn't want to put your life in danger!" I yelled at him again, my body was starting to shake when his condition seemed like it was getting worse. "You're NOT going to Chara! Not in this condition!"

I can't let him fight her. She'll kill him! She'll kill him and everyone else I love! I need to find her!

"What was I supposed to DO?!" He yelled. "Let them fight her?! Let monsters hurt her, LEADING BACK TO YOU?!" He yelled back, raising him voice over the screaming monsters. "You could get hurt! YOU, could die." He said, pointing at me, before placing that hand back onto his chest to grip his shirt.

"FOR ONCE! In your life..." I yelled back, the first tear falling, "FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE, JUST BE GREEDY!" I yelled. "BE GREEDY TO SAVE YOURSELF!" I screamed. He was in pain, because he tried to save me. Because he tried hard to save me. "Stop worrying about me! Okay?! You're...—" I stopped my sentence, knowing it would cut deep within him. He knew what I was going to say from the looks of his pained eyes.

I looked down and climbed the stairs of regret that that point when he finished my own sentence after a solid 10 seconds for a pause.

"Fragile?" He said, looking at the ground. "Even you think I'm too fragile to look out for anyone else?" He said, heaving less, but still at an abnormal pace. "I want— no. I need to protect you! That's not an option!" He said. "It's not an option that you are in danger because that would also hurt mys—" He stopped himself short of what the rest of the sentence was going to say. He exhaled a long sigh, before shaking his head in defeat. "Let's just find Chara and get this ordeal sought out." He said.

I didn't say a word, I only looked at the ground as he turned to face the chaos that was just behind us while we argued to each other. It was true, him being fragile. I know he hated it, but it's reality. And I can't have him hurt.

He doesn't understand! He doesn't understand the severity of his condition! He just... won't listen!
Protect yourself! That's all I want!

"Hey—" sans grabbed a monster's shoulder who was running past us in a fit, holding bottles of water and her small, bunny daughter by the hand harshly. "What's going on?!" Sans said urgently to the mother.

"Sans!" She said. "Oh thank god a boss monster is still around! We are saved!" He said, letting go of her daughter's hand, grabbing his skeletal fingers with her paws gratefully. She then grabbed her toddler-looking daughter and continued. "The assailant is here! In MMO!" She said. "T-They've got Asgore! This is the end!" The mother said, dramatically. "Not even Undyne could stop that... that.... thing!" She wailed.

"Thank you. Where is he being held?" Sans said, trying to calm the monster, who was still in a panic, shaking and blabbering on about Asgore and how they were saved.

"He's being held hostage in his office! She's going to kill him if the girl she wants doesn't show up! She's made herself very clear!" The monster said.

All of a sudden, it clicked. She wanted me, there was no argue. I looked up from my small world and out a hand on Sans' shoulder, uncovering my face to the monster by accident. "Thank you so—" I tried to say, I tried to thank the mother for giving us such valuable information in such a rush.

However, her eyes went wide, and she backed up slowly away from where Sans and I were standing. "Y-Y...." she tried to say, putting her daughter behind her. "YOU!" He cried, pointing at me with a hideous frown of fear on her face. "YOU MONSTER!" She screamed, clutching her child even harder. I thought she would break her little paws.

I'm not what you think! I'm not her! I swear! I can't fight people or monsters! I'm trying to help you! I want you to stay alive!

"It's....!" I tried to say, taking a step towards her. She had already ran off, screaming and pointing in my direction as she ran, leaving nothing behind her. Sans grabbed my hand to keep me from rushing after the frightened mother.

"It's not worth it." He said sadly. "For now, we need to find Asgore." He said, determined. I could see it in his eyes, the determination to save Asgore and keep most— if not every monster safe in this HeadQuarters. "And I swear to you.." Sans said, "I swear to you I won't let her take you." He said. "That's a promise."

Don't make a promise....

you can't keep....

Sans..