CHAPTER 66: It always has been

((I need to study tomorrow so I wrote it tonight. You're welcome.))
It's a celebration is it not? A long chapter is needed. :)

——

Sans POV:

"Listen, kid—" I tried to say, you really couldn't just barge in on him whenever you wanted, or I definitely would have gone there to ask him some questions. With Toriel back in the picture, they're always yelling about what to do with the Mafia.
I never knew the exact discussions because Toriel would ask me to leave before any information would spill, and the fact I've been keeping an eye on Frisk for them.

Tori's orders, mostly. Asgore wanted Frisk to become slightly more independent when she was in her coma, but Toriel was freaking out.
She held her tongue when it came to her feelings towards the kid, especially around others.

"You don't have to reassure me, Sans. You've done plenty already." She said calmly. Her voice was smooth and soft, unlike her choking sobs from earlier that hour. It's hard to believe she's calmed herself down.

No.
She wasn't calmed down.
I could see it when I caught that glint in her eyes. That moment of doubt and betrayal all at once just flooding through her skull. She was trying to hide it and I didn't know why.

Does she think it makes her look weak? Does she not want to rely on me? Or is it something more? I can't think of another option, and sometimes I think it might just be right there at the tip of my tongue!

"If you say so, toots." I put my hands up in defeat, sensing the nervousness coming back to her, like she was coming back to her senses.

What is she thinking? What's holding her back? She has to be fighting something internal at this point.

"Hey, while you're in there, I'll keep an eye on Chara. Maybe I'll get to interrogate her before Undyne does." I said, wanting to respect her privacy with Asgore. In all honesty, I wanted to be in there. I had too many questions to ask, I had too many unanswered riddles sprawling in my head like jumbled thoughts swimming in my skull.

Her expression didn't change, despite my efforts, she only spoke softly. "Can you stay?" The words fell out of her mouth hesitantly, but surely. It took me aback, if I was being real. I was not expecting that answer to come out of her mouth so smoothly and non regretfully by the way we've been so distant since we've met each other at the warehouse.

My soul tugged a bit, and it seemed like I heard the response at the same time she did. "Sure thing, toots." My expression softened. "But ya don't look so sure about doing this." I said, holding back an effort to make a joke or a pun. I knew it would just make her feel worse at this point. I didn't want that, for some reason.

"It's because I'm not." The truth finally spilled. "But I'm going to get nowhere if I just stand here and ask questions." She said. Finally the determined part of her soul was showing, like it had never been replaced by the other soul
C. H. E. S. S. had implanted in her own.

I thought about what she had said. All of my questions remained intact.
Maybe I'll question Asgore myself when she leaves. I have questions I need answered more than ever. The one most is Frisk's last name— no.

Frisk as a whole.

She just... appeared. We have no record of her in the files, and when her name was searched she was listed under DUSTED in my own squad at age 7.
It doesn't make sense. The file is corrupt, none of the other files for dusted monsters had
not been accessible. This is getting ridiculous.

We walked on towards the long hallways in silence, rounding each corner like the maze this place was.
Everything had calmed down slightly until the opening of the hallways appeared, and the large, wooden doors would be seen just barely, marching the dark walls.
A plate above them reading 'ASGORE'.