CHAPTER 89: Gone

Haha... I'm very productive when I'm sad. Very... very... productive.

It's both good and bad, if you think about it. It's a creativity thing, honestly. It's a coping method.

——

Sans POV:

Walking home with Papyrus, I had my hands shoved inside my pockets and my eyes were at their lazy look. As usual.

I didn't want to leave Frisk alone because of her condition. I was worried she would have another panic attack or maybe have another nightmare while we were gone. I was gone longer than I had anticipated, it was only an unload mission from Asgore. They needed blue magic from me and Papyrus to help move the boxes of weapons and supplies that were too heavy for the muscular monsters that were already on the job.

Of course I didn't use much, I helped out Papyrus picking up the same boxes as him.

It took a few hours to move all the boxes out of the delivery truck. It was sunset at the moment, and we were both walking back to the apartment. About a 30 minute walk. No big deal.

"WELL, BROTHER. I THINK THAT THIS WAS A SUCCESS!" Papyrus said as we exited the unload dock area. He was counting the small bit of cash that we had earned from Asgore for helping out on such short notice. "WE MADE A LITTLE BUT OF MONEY. WE WERE PAID ON THE HOUR." Papyrus said. "IT LOOKS ABOUT 10 AN HOUR." He said.

"Asgore sure is generous. That's quite a bit for the amount of time we worked." I said. "What was it? 4 hours? 5 hours unloading these stupid boxes upon boxes?" I chuckled in my slacked voice.

That's like 45 dollars each. It's not much but it's still quite a bit if we had worked the entire day.

"HE SURE IS!" Papyrus said. "IM JUST GLAD HE SOMEHOW KNEW ABOUT OUR MONEY TROUBLES AT THE MOMENT." Papyrus coughed, signaling me. "SINCE I AM THE ONLY ONE DOING THEM AT THE MOMENT." He said.

"I know. I know." I said to him. "I need to get back to work. I just need to make sure Frisk is safe and okay." I said. "Asgore said I was in charge of her afterall. I don't think we can go on a job for a while. She's not the killing type." I said in response.

"BUT BROTHER! THOSE GIVE THE MOST MONEY TOWARDS OUT REWARDS. WANTED CRIMINALS, COLLECTING TAXES FROM SPONSORS." He said. "EVEN GING TO SPEAKEASIES AND PARTIES AS ASSASSINS PAY THE MOST! AND THE ONLY SELECTION! WHAT ARE YOU AND THE HUMAN GOING TO DO?" He said, giving me the 50 dollars, while shoving his share in his wallet.

"Papyrus, we'll probably just help around at Muffet's, or unload deliveries." I said. "We need a good influx of cash at the moment. You can do them alone. You're a great sniper." I said. "It's just temporary. When I show her the basics, she'll have to take a life at some point." I said, getting straight to the point. "It's inevitable."

That won't be for a while though. I don't want to make her too uncomfortable. I really don't want to lose her trust.

I don't know what I would do without her.

The passing monsters on the sidewalk carried various conversations I didn't feel like listening to. Adults talking about birthday parties and business related things. Small kids talking about toys and friends. Everything seemed so innocent if you weren't apart of the Mafia itself. So happy.

And less stressful.

"IF YOU SAY SO BROTHER." Papyrus said. "I JUST THINK—" Papyrus tired to say before this cellphone ringtone suddenly interrupted him. He pulled out his cellphone out of his pocket, reading the caller from the front. "ONE MOMENT, BROTHER." He said, stopping and holding up his finger to wait.

I stopped, raising an eyebrow at this mystery caller.

"HELLO!" Papyrus said, cheerfully. "IM GLAD YOU CALLED! I WAS ACTUALLY ON MY WAY HOME WITH SA—" Papyrus stopped talking. He looked worried all of a sudden. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!" He shouted, louder than usual. "I'M ON MY WAY HOME NOW. THANK YOU, METTATON." Papyrus said, snapping the phone shut and shoving it in his pocket, speed walking down the sidewalk.

What's going on?! What did Mettaton tell him? Whatever it was, it isn't good.

"What is is bro?" I said, slightly running to keep up with his long stride. "Slow down! What's going on?!" I tugged at his shirt.

"METTATON ALWAYS GETS GOSSIP, YOU KNOW THAT." Papyrus said. I responded with a slight nod, not sure what he was hinting at. "THE LATEST IS THAT THE MAFIA KILLER IS HERE. AT OUR HEADQUARTERS. HE WAS SEEING IF FRISK WAS OKAY." Papyrus looked worried. "THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY THAT GOT OUT." Papyrus said.

That's if she got out. If people saw her face.

"Hold on." I said. "We don't have time for a 30 minute walk." I said. Grabbing his arm again and closing my eyes.

"SANS! WAI—" he tried to stop me from jumping, but we were already in the hallway.

"Just get the Keys!" I exclaimed, getting ready to knock down the door. "Frisk?!" I yelled, knocking loudly against the door. "Frisk?! PLEASE tell me you're there!" I said.

A powerful shot of pain went through my soul afterwards. I held my chest in pain, stopping myself from knocking to groan in pain.

"SA—" Papyrus said, not looking for the key anymore on the large ring of multiple keys. He was obviously concerned for my health. "YOU'RE GOING TO RIP YOUR—" he tried to say.

"JUST—" I said, with angry, desperate eyes. "Find the key!" I said though clenched teeth.

She could be anywhere! What if she's in trouble? What if Chara got to her? She would be in danger!

"Papyrus!" I yelled as he found the key on the key ring full of many keys. He put in the key with force and opened the door swiftly. I pushed through him to get into the room as fast as possible. "Check the rooms!" I barked at him. He didn't think anything of it. He was just as worried as I was.

I checked the small kitchen, my eyes were farting around the room wherever she could be. "FRISK!!?" I yelled in the apartment. "No no no! Not again!" I said, grasping my skull in my hands.

My eyes caught three small napkins with blue sharpie ink on them on the coffee table. I rushed over to them, reading them in order.
"Sans and Papyrus," I read aloud, as Papyrus came out of her room with nothing.
"You both have been so kind to me. I could never truly repay you for that. I feel in debt to you both after such kindness given to a ... stranger." I read the note aloud, Papyrus slowed his pace to walk towards me.

You're aren't a stranger! You didn't.... have to add that.

"I  hope wherever you two may go in life is great. But not as great as the Great Papyrus. I loved living with you both for the short amount of time I did. But I'm sorry I had to go." I read off the second napkin in her very neat handwriting. "I just need to take care of something that will keep you all safe and I don't know if I will be returning. So this is goodbye." I said, my heart racing face and my breathing was erratic.

I looked up at Papyrus who had stopped to read the note himself. "SHE'S... GONE?" He said, looking down at the floor in disbelief.

No! This wasn't supposed to happen! I was supposed to take care of her! I was supposed to be in charge of her! To keep her safe!

"Was her phone there?" I said, an idea springing into my head. Papyrus shook his head, gaining the same idea as mine. "She must have forgotten about the tracker. Let's go to Alphys' and find her. She's not going to be gone, okay?" I said. "Grab on." I said.

"NO." Papyrus said. I. Was about to refute before he cut me off. "YOU GRAB ON. IM NOT GOING TO LET YOU GET HURT ANYMORE. IM RUNNING THERE." Papyrus said.

"Fine." I said. "Only for now" I sighed.

Please don't do anything stupid, kid.