CHAPTER 84: DICE

I am using the common pronoun "he" to express Mettaton, as do most of the characters do in Undertale in the cannon. I hope none of you feel offended or something for not saying he's a girl or ... whatever 😂

——

Sans POV:

"FRISK! WAIT!" I jolted up in terror, throwing the blanket that had been laid across my body off of me and onto the floor. My knees were bent, and my sleeves were rolled up messily. My white, steam-pressed button up shirt was wrinkled and the cords connected to my soul scattered into different directions, swinging and tugging painfully on my soul.

She was..
right there..

"SANS! YOU'RE AWAKE! I THOUGH YOU WOULD SLEEP ALL DAY YOU LAZY BONES!" Papyrus yelled from behind me, who immediately caught the tension in the air as I looked at him with a singular glowing, cyan ring in my socket. "SA-" The TV was off. They must have turned it off.

Where's Frisk? Where's Frisk? Where's Frisk!? She's in trouble—!

"Where's Frisk?!" I yelled, sweat running down my skull. My eye-sockets were wide in pure terror. I was shaking. "Where is she?!" I looked Papyrus in the eyes in fear. His voice caught in his throat to say anything at that moment exactly.

It's just a fucking dream. Don't freak out. Don't freak anyone else out, you're just going to make him worry.

If it's just a dream, why am I still panicking?!

"Sans, darling? Are you awake? Is everything alright?" A mechanical voice came from the kitchen behind me as well. "I thought I heard you yell." Mettaton's click of his high-heel boots echoed on the wooden floor of the small apartment.

Everything is—

"FRISK IS STILL SLEEPING, SANS. SHE HASN'T BEEN OUT ALL DAY!" Papyrus finally said, pointing towards that same wretched door I saw a few moments ago. I could see the demon racing towards me, a knife in her hand, ready to attack. "ALPHYS DID TELL YOU THAT WE WERE COMING OVER, ME AND METTATON, TO TAKE CARE OF YOU, RIGHT?" Papyrus asked me, as I clumsily fell off of the couch in pain. "WHEN WE GOT HERE, YOU WERE ASLEEP WITHOUT THEM ON! FOR SHAME BROTHER!" He said, rushing to my fallen side.

That would explain the dream. Why am I so tired? Is it the medicine? Why am I so...

Afraid?

"Oh dear!" Mettaton's voice rang again. I look over in his direction, seeing the very fluffy scarf he usually had around his shoulders to signify his wealth and fame. "Darling, you shouldn't be up!"

I started ripping the cords out of my soul in frustration, wobbly marching my way towards her door that she "slept" in. "SANS! BE CAREFUL!" Papyrus called from behind me, pulling at my arms. "ALPHYS SAID TO KEEP THESE IN YOU UNTIL SHE GETS BACK!" He said, talking fast and trying to reason with my drugged mind. "FRISK IS OKAY! FRISK IS SLEEPING! SANS, IT WAS JUST A DREAM." His voice tries to reason with me, but my brain just couldn't listen.

I have to see. I have to make sure.

Opening the door quietly, Papyrus stopped talking, and Mettaton quit babbling about something I wasn't paying attention to. The entire room went silent in a flash, a one turn of the doorknob that a sleeping human was staying in.

It was dark. Almost too dark for me to see, but I could see the light of the living room hide my eyes towards the side of the bed, and back up to the sleeping figure that lied across it. She was clutching a pillow, and curled around it in desperate attempts to escape this cruel reality. Her breathing looked normal from where I was standing and her hair was messily scattered across her face. Looking at my own, skeletal shadow, I closed the door slowly, and softly and turned around to look at them both with surprised looks across their faces.