CHAPTER 47: Number eight

"She was right there, Asgore! I swear! I was so close!"

"It's Alright Sans. There will be another time to strike but a rescue mission can't be held if we don't know where she is."

"They shoved her into the car before I could take a shortcut outta there! Her hand was so close!"

"At least find my child, Asgore! Don't you want to at least find their HeadQuarters?"

"Toriel, I know we have our differences but we need to agree with this. Please work with me."

"Tori's right. We can take out two birds with one stone if we find the HQ."

"We are not going after Frisk. We have too many injuries and our numbers are even smaller thanks to your rash decision."

"I was trying to get the kid! On your orders!"

"I didn't say wipe out half of the Mafia!"

"Sans! Asgore! PLEASE!"
"We need to think about getting Frisk back. How long will it take?"

"We don't have that contact with them anymore, Toriel. They broke our alliance the minute they took Frisk against her will."

"She was just a child! She shouldn't have to go through all of this!"

"If you search for her alone then you're going to be taken too! You'll be beaten and killed like the rest of the monsters they took!"

"She won't be alone. I can take my squad out and search for their HQ as-well."
"Please, Asgore. We all want Frisk back. Papyrus has been crying for days."

"I'll give you three weeks."

Sans POV:

I looked at Frisk and back at Alphys with a start, my attack position was ready and I was about to take Frisk somewhere to get whatever she just injected into her out.

"W-Wait!" She said, cowering in fear. "I-It's just a s-sedative!" She cried.

So she put her to sleep for no reason? No. She wouldn't waste a sedative for that.
Or would she?

I loosened up a bit, and saw Frisk finally fall asleep to the strong medicine. "What was that for?!" I yelled once again, knowing Frisk was out.

"L-Listen, I-I know what's wrong with h-her soul." Alphys said, playing with her thumbs a bit. "I-I didn't want her soul to become a-any more unstable so I-I put her to sleep."

Is there something I missed? What could be wrong with her soul other than the cracks?

"Well? Out with it." I said, crossing my arms a bit too impatiently.

If I can find out what's wrong we can cure her. If we can cure her then she won't be at risk of dying anymore.

"W-We'll. R-Remember how I told y-you that she could have a s-split personality disorder a-and we needed to look m-more into it?" She stuttered nervously.

I nodded my head, not seeing where she was going with this.

"I-I recently discovered a-a new soul trait. N-Not seven.. but eight." She said, rustling through her papers scattered onto the counter messily. Even I'm not that disorganized.

A new soul trait? Have we seen the soul? We haven't seen any humans' souls for a while now. The last time we saw a soul was...

Fallen number six? Wait- don't we need seven to break the barrier?
What happened to the seventh human? Was there a seventh human?

I shook my head, confiding thoughts will make the situation worse for all of us. I will ask Asgore later along with what he's hiding about Frisk.

"We don't have the technology to produce an artificial soul, do we?" I asked Alphys, who jumped at the sudden question.

"N-No! Or else I would h-have gotten us o-out if there sooner!" She said, scrambling over her papers once more, trying to find the right notes.

So then there was a seventh human to fall. Who was it? What was the soul type? God, it's on the top of my tongue.

Frisk shifted a little in her sleep, knocking her out of the monitor's way to keep her soul under surveillance. I quickly walked over and sat her in a comfortable position to where we could see her soul.

She mumbled an inaudible word in her sleep and was quiet again.
She looks peaceful when she's not trying to kill someone. She always looked so stressed.

I coughed a bit at what my mind was trying to make me feel. I've known her for a month. And we were enemies. We still are enemies.
Right?

I quietly turned so I wouldn't wake her, despite her being under a sedative, to come face to face with a curious Alphys.
She rose a brow, and put her hands on her hips. A smirk made its way onto her face.

"I-It's not what you think!" I scrambled my jumbled thoughts together in a somewhat neat pile. "The monitor couldn't read her soul so I moved her Incase you still needed it." I blushed slightly with embarrassment.

She just giggled and shook her said. "I-I don't need the monitor. I-I need her actual s-soul." Alphys said, powering down the machine and gesturing to me. "W-would you take out h-her soul for me?"

Take out her soul?! Is she nuts?! That's violating so much of her privacy!

"Hell no!" I stammered slightly, shoving my hands into my pockets. "You'll need to do something else."

"T-there's no other way." Alphys said, holding a sheet of paper and an empty syringe. "I-I need to do this while she's a-asleep." She said, holding the syringe.

Thats going to hurt like a bitch.

"A-and you're the only o-one who can use magic o-on the soul that's here." She said, shifting her weight to each foot.

"Would you mind telling me what's going on inside that head of yours?" I said, walking over to Frisk and putting my hand near her chest. "I'm just dying to know." I said sarcastically, chuckling at my own pun.

I concentrated hard, using my magic drained the Hell outta me. Since when did it do that?
Has it always done that? But not this fast..

Out came her soul. It was abnormally large for a human's soul, according to Alphys. She said it was because it was one of the strongest so traits. I can believe that.

The cracks have grown larger, and instead of three, there were four. It was also growing.

Alphys quickly moved past me and carefully Inserted the syringe into one of the "cracks" of her soul.

If it's a crack, that'll damage her soul even more. What is she thinking?

Alphys quickly and quietly extracted some of what was a black substance from her soul, and not a crack, as we originally thought.

"T-The eighth soul trait." She said holding up the syringe with a black substance in it.
"H-Hate."