CHAPTER 5: Mission

Rushing out of the office, I exhaled, realizing I had been holding my breath for some time now. And walked back into the large facility full of working people.

I groaned a little once I spotted the same girl who followed me from the entrance of the elevator.

"Oh! You're done!" Catlin popped out behind the corner, her brown eyes gleaming with joy.

She was the youngest in the Mafia, excluding myself, and acted the most naive. Her squeaky voice matching her child-like persona perfectly. Though, I cannot Judge by her looks, because apparently she was the head of interrogation.

"Did I scare ya?" She giggled and brimmed with innocence.

She jumped up and down with excitement when I breathed out a sigh. She had been attached to me ever since I entered the Mafia, saying I had been her only age group and what not, though she was 16 and acted 8, while I was 19 and I acted 36, though that's what I perceive.

She was the child of the group, while Angie acted as her mother, influencing her child-like ambitions even further when she gave in to her cries.

"So? Wanna talk now?" He chirped, I only looked away.

"No. Not at the moment. I was assigned another mission and I have to go out once more." I said, and turned towards the door I entered.

"Oh come on! You gotta stay! Jackie has made the BEST ribs tonight!" She beamed, trying to get home to sit for a while and agree to her party planning.

"I'm not hungry at the moment so PLEASE, Catlin! Go bother someone else!" I said, before marching towards the wall panel, leaving her there in the middle of the room.

'2-4-3-7-7'

I glanced back to see her cheerful smile on her face as she walked over to another person once more and chatted up a storm. I smiled a bit to know that she was used to my cold, outer shell by now.

I entered the elevator before being consumed by the darkness once more, leaving with me and my own dreadful thoughts.

My stomach growled loudly, I had not rated a meal in 2 days now, which was fairly off from my daily eating schedule of 2 meals a day. I had been so caught up in getting the proper information, I had completely lost time in getting food without looking suspicious.

Suddenly, a monitor lights up as at eye level, showing live footage from outside the base, and scanned to make sure no moving objects had come within sight of the opening entrance and sent the play to the panel inside where I stood.

It was programmed to let us know if we wanted to attack on sight if needed, sending a tranquilizer dart into them from the side of the loaded camera. A heavily fortified HQ is a good one.

Once the coast was clear, the roof opened up, the false grass ripping away and the platform came up quickly.

I stepped off, the platform sending the sudden weight loss and returning under the bunker, the false grass covering it, as if nothing had happened.

I took off at a sprint toward Triad HQ, my 'former' Mafia station, my footsteps silent within the night.

The toxic air of The city remained lingering to anyone who didn't have the vaccine for the newly spread virus, everyone that had lived here needed one. And every month you're in the city, you need a new vaccine. Luckily, C. H. E. S. S. had an air filtration system, and vaccines just in case.

——

40 minutes passed, and the base had been spotted, very weak and looked even emptier than before. I crouch low to the ground and shuffled forward silently.