CHAPTER 52: Her lastname

I congratulate myself with a job-well-done with the new covers.
If you don't like them you can ... go eat a turtle or something..

DON'T REALLY EAT A TURTLE THEY ARE PRECIOUS

——

"I need you to put these posters up around cities away from the Mafia."

"Wanted posters? What for?"

"Someone special to me has gone missing. You are the only one who can do it."

"Why is that?"

"Because no one in the Mafia is to know about this girl. Do you understand?"

"Frisk Dreamurr? Your daughter?"

"Yes."

"I've seen this girl before."

"That's impossible. C. H. E. S. S. killed her."

"Then why are you putting these up?"

"I promised someone I would. But this girl is dead."

"No. C. H. E. S. S. has her. Do you want me to set up a rescu-"

"No."
"I have someone on the job already. Just put these posters up."

"Yes sir. If I may ask, who is on the rescue mission?"

".. Just put these up."

"Asgore!"

"I am in the middle of a meeting. Can you not interrupt us?"

"Sans' magic is destabilizing! We need your magic to control it!"

"We will have to postpone this meeting another time."

Sans POV:

"What did you just say?" I stopped in my tracks and turned around in a slight shock. Almost as if I had just seen a ghost.
My body stiffened, hoping that I didn't hear what I just heard.

"Dreamurr." She said. "Frisk Dreamurr." With a confused look on her face as to why I was so shaken.

Dreamurr? As in the King's daughter? A member of the Royal Family?

The world seemed to slow for a second as I turned around to meet her eyes, just to make sure she wasn't screwing around.
"You aren't lying, are you?" I said, narrowing my eyes.
Please just say you're fucking lying. This is way too confusing to handle all at once.

However, her eyes held no lie. It was just as the truth as anything else. I mean, it was a NAME after all. How could she choose a fake name the same as the royal family's just by CHANCE?
"Why would I lie about my name? I've only had it for forever." She rolled her eyes slightly, laughing a bit, as if this were a joke to her.

No, this is a joke. If someone didn't believe my name was Sans, then I would be laughing too! But this is... different!

But she's human! Not a monster. That would mean the royal family adopted her at some point.
That's already backed up by the file name in the system, but she was filed dead.

"Who are your parents?" I asked quickly.
It's probably just a thing where a human family has the same last name, right?

"I don't know, now that I think about it." There was a moment of silence between us.
"C. H. E. S. S. took me in when I was very young. They said my parents died by the hands of a monster." She gritted her teeth slightly.

Right. If she was adopted by the king and queen, then I would remember that. I was heavily influenced by them especially 9 years ago when I did some things for them.

"There's no way your last name is Dreamurr." I said, laughing a bit.

"It is. It's one of the only things I remember as a child. I don't really have any memories of my parents or anything. It all just ... a blur." She said, thoughtfully.

I mean, the Frisk in the system was very young. Although I couldn't get an exact birthdate or date she went missing, I could tell she was around 5 or 6 years old.

"Like as in the Royal Dre-" I stopped mid sentence. I didn't want to tell this information, did I?
We kept the Royal family last name in secret, in case Toriel or . . . Or...

Who else were we protecting?
Somebody could get hurt if the public knew the last name of the Dreamurrs. It's on the tip of my tongue!

"What was that?" Frisk asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.
She held a gaze full of curiosity and confusion. She has no idea what her last name could possibly mean.

Even I don't know what it could possibly mean.
I definitely need a one-on-one with Asgore after this. Everything else suspicious has been brushed aside for now.
I'm going to have to make a list.

"Nothing.." I said, turning back around. I was still tense and confused. I didn't know what this meant.

"Okay?" She questioned, but luckily, she didn't push or I would have been in a terrible spot to hold my point in an argument.

I hated not knowing things, and it seems that Asgore has been hiding things that this girl knows. And apparently she doesn't know why I'm freaking out!

Why did Asgore give the signal to not just end her life if she holds information that could confuse the Hell outta us!
If anything, he knew she was going to join the Mafia after C. H. E. S. S. dumped her on the ground like that!

I couldn't guess it for the life of me.
Thoughts swam and swarmed in my head like bees in a beehive. It was just so surreal.

My heart was beating fast as we both stepped inside the elevator to go up to the surface and buy her clothes.
To her, it was a normal shopping day. Br for me, it was madness.

This was supposed to be normal for me as well. Maybe pick up some groceries and live on my life.
But now, there's a chunk of something missing.

It's right there, like my brain thinks I know it, but I don't realize it.

"Sans?" Frisk spoke, Interrupting what seemed like a very long elevator ride. For me, at least. "You look confused."

I looked up to her, only to look away once again.
Ever since she said her 'last name' I haven't been able to look her in the face. When I do, my eyes dart down. Something in my soul hurts.

God! What is it?!

"I-I'm fine, toots." I said, trying to maintain my composure, "Just a little... rattled." I even chuckled a little bit to cover my tracks with such a nice pun.

It's an oldie, but a goodie.

"There you go again! With these horrible jokes!" She said, turning away, trying not to smile.

I laughed a bit for real this time, trying to get more relaxed, but when I do, that image of her saying the name Dreamurr, won't go away.

I need to get to the bottom of this.
But first...

"Hey kiddo?" I said, noticing that we were almost to the top of the surface.
She hummed in acknowledgement of my question, so I continued. "Don't go around saying your last name here, okay?" I said rather bluntly.

She was slightly taken aback by my request, and just as she was about to ask why, the elevator dinged, and we were out on the surface once more.

"Just do it." I said, leading her to the front entrance so that we could go to the market to buy her some clothes.

Welcome to hell, Sans