CHAPTER 69: Sans' Fear

*looks at chapter number*
Ayyy *finger guns*
I'm so immature.

It's November the 4th! It's time to start updating regularly again!! :3
At the end of the book I will do a face reveal, so that's something you can look forward to, rather being sad about the end of the book.

And good news! I believe it'll reach over 100 chapters like I originally intended!

——

Frisk POV:

Everything was so different now. I couldn't believe my eyes when it was actually him, standing there in front of me after all these years. My best friend, I would say, but someone else would say otherwise.

Where is he anyways? You'd think he'd remember out of everyone. He stayed away from the Mafia for the most part when I was young. I'd better check the meadows where he liked to stay, or I could just ask Toriel and Asgore; they seem like they have everything under control.

And there I was, standing next to him, facing him in front of his apartment door. Everything seemed to slow, I knew so much about him now, and my 'quest' to find out more about him was finished. Never would I have thought that I'd leave C. H. E. S. S.. Never would I have thought that they were the real bad guys in my corrupted life.

I've killed so many for them. I helped them grow into the Mafia they are today and they made me the bad guy when I found the MMO.

"I'm so sorry." I finally said, looking into his empty eye sockets. There was nothing but a pinprick-like glow in the center, like there always had been.

He chuckled, confused. Like he genuinely didn't know what I could be possible apologizing about. There was silence for a split second, as if he needed to figure out how to reassure me that it wasn't my fault for whatever I did. "What are you apologizing for? If anything, I should be apologizing." He looked at me sadly. "I can't remember what got us into this mess." He chuckled again.

This isn't funny! I could have hurt you! I TRIED to hurt you! You have ONE HP! You could die with the slightest touch!
Why are you so carefree? ...Why does it seem like it doesn't bother you?

"I've killed so many." I said. "I've killed so many of my kind, of my family. I'll never be able to forgive myself." I said. "I don't know what to do, I don't understand. I feel disgusted with myself just like I did when I was smaller. I was a pacifist, you know." I gritted my teeth. "Was, a pacifist." I shook my head.

There was a moment of silence, and another confused look from Sans. He shook his head and looked harder at something that was just passed me. I tired my head to see what he was looking at, but there was no one and nothing in the hallway of doors and Christmas lights. "That can't be right." He said, causing me to whip my head around back to him.

"Wat do you mean? I remember attacking monsters and people! I remember attacking YOU!" I said, getting slightly angry at his dismissal of my killings. I've always had a very high kill rate at C. H. E. S.  S. It was almost like a game to me.

Sometimes it really did feel like I was losing my sense of reality when it comes to the real world.

"Well, you haven't gained any LV." He said. "And your EXP is at zero as well." He said again as I tried to remember these familiar things. He saw my confused face and chuckled, "looks like everything hasn't quite crossed over yet." He said, ruffling my hair, causing me to immediately fix it with a huff. "I should have noticed this earlier, I just went ahead and took you for a killer, but you have no LV at all." He said, slightly rubbing his chin.

"So are you gonna tell me what LV is?" I said, growing impatient with my skeleton friend. It was also cold in the hallway, and I wanted to be inside, but I didn't want to ruin this conversation. I didn't want it to end, this casual yet meaningful chat. "I'm dying here."

"No, I'm dying." He joked. I rolled my eyes and he continued, "LV stands for LOVE, and EXP stands for execution points. The idea is when you kill, you gain EXP, which gains more LV, and that makes it easier and easier to kill." He said. "But ya have none, which would explain why you have so much disgust to killing." He explained, thinking a bit. "It makes me wonder if Chara took all of it when you released these so-called 'attacks'. She could have been the one doing the killing. Do you remember killing anyone? Or just going for them?" He said.

Now that I think about it, I don't actually remember doing the killing. I remember lunging towards them to get another task done, but the killing itself is missing.

"I don't remember the killings. Just the attacks." I said, also confused. I was starting to shake a bit, it was cold on my shoulder and I had no jacket.

"Maybe she stole all of it too, that could be an option. Something with a high amount of LV could drive someone..." he paused, his eyes widening.

"What? Drive someone what?" I demanded, while his face was paling. Sans doesn't usually get scared like this, not unless someone he loves is in danger of some sort.

"Insane." He breathed. "Chara was acting funny, like her criminal insanity was just too much for her to handle, yes I thought she was dangerous, but if she stole all of your LV when you two split, it could have driven her more insane with the massive flood of LV." He said, starting to connect dots I couldn't see.

He rubbed his chin, crossing his arms. I wonder if he could see the goose bumps scattered across my arms.

Quit thinking about how cold you are! We're discussing a serious topic. You should be more focused. We are staying out in this hallway until we finish this conversation, or until he wants to go inside.

"So that means she's more dangerous than I thought." He mumbled. "God knows what level she's on." His eyes widened again. "Unless, she's reached beyond a human's mental capacity for LV, and that would explain why she could see us earlier." His eyes were fixated on the floor of the building.

Earlier? Through the glass?

"What do you mean? She saw us through the glass of the cell. Of course she would see us!" I said, not getting the point of this part of the conversation. Mostly because I didn't quite remember this stuff about LV.

"That was one-way glass, Frisk." He said, using my name, meaning he was serious. "She couldn't have been able to hear us or see us, but she knew exactly where and who you were." He said. "And that just means she's at such an inhumane level of LV, she could practically .....sense ...her prey." He looked slowly up at me, our eyes locking for a moment. "We need to go." He said, walking swiftly towards the elevator we had just left around a half an hour ago.

"What? Where are we going?!" I yelled, catching up to him, inhaling the crisp, cool air of the second floor, relieved that we'd be leaving the cold floor.

Why is he scared all of a sudden? How much LV is too much? Like level 30? That's a big number..

"That cell won't hold her." He said, "I hope she doesn't know that." He turns around, and gave me a look of genuine fear.

"And I can't use my fucking magic." He mumbled angrily.