16. Disagreement

After Ross left we made our way to the living room and I started reading the accord. In the meantime Sam and Rhodey were arguing.

- Rhodey: Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have.

- Sam: So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?

- Rhodey: 117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it.'

- Sam: How long are you going to play both sides?

I had just read something I was so not agreeing with. " I'm sorry, have you read article 17?" I asked everyone in the room. 

" What about it?" Rhodey asked. 

" They build an underwater prison, in the middle of the freaking ocean." I said. How did he not have a problem with that?       

" This is ridiculous. We can't sign this." Sam said. Steve agreed with im. 

" What do you think Odette?" dad asked me. 

I looked up " If you let me finish reading this, I'll tell you." And went back to reading.

- Vision: I have an equation.

- Sam: Oh, this will clear it up.

- Vision: In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate.

- Steve: Are you saying it's our fault?

- Vision: I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe. Oversight... Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand.

- Rhodey: Boom.

When I looked up again dad was laying on the couch, one hand over his face. He didn't need to argue, he already knew he was signing it. 

" Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal." Nat noticed. Dad got up from the couch. 

" It's because he's already made up his mind." I let her know. 

" Pumpkin, you know me so well." he said rubbing the back of his head." Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache." he said walking to the kitchen and grabbing a mug. " That's what's going on, O. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" 

He put his phone in a basket of apples and tapped it. The phone projected an image of a smiling young man. Dad looked down, then back up, and pretended to notice the picture for the first time. Knowing dad he was gonna tell us all about the boy in the picture. " Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way." There we go " He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia." Way to make us feel great dad. " He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." 

He took a pill and faced us. I mean, we didn't make that building collapse, the robots did. " There's no decision-making process here." he went on " We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys." They all kept arguing while I finished reading the accords. 

When I was done I closed it and threw it on the table. " Yeah, there's no way I'm signing that." I said. 

"Excuse me?" dad asked annoyed. 

" We can't work like that. You told me yourself, we're not soldiers, and that's what they want us to be." I told him as he just looked at me in disbelieve. 

" Are you seriously taking his side?" he asked me, pointing at Steve. 

" He's right dad. What if there's another battle here in Manhattan? What if those aliens come back?" I asked him. 

" We'll fight." he said. 

" Not if they tell you to stay out of it... If you sign this they can use you as a weapon of war. They can send you over to anywhere they want." I said now a bit louder. 

" If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty." He tried to explain.         

" You're saying they'll come for me?" Wanda asked. 

" We would protect you." Vision told her. Those two had grown close over the time they had been here. 

" Maybe Tony's right." Nat suddenly said. Which made dad look at her in surprise. " If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off -" She said but Sam interrupted her " Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" He was right with that one, Nat had never been the one to trust the government. 

" I'm just... I'm reading the terrain." she explained " We have made... some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back." 

" We NEVER had their trust, not even when we saved the Earth from aliens." I told her. 

" Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" dad asked Nat.

 " Oh, I want to take it back now."       

" No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed - I win." he said acting like he had won the discussion. 

" You don't win just because Nat agrees with you dad." I told him, annoyed " We're not done yet." 

When I had said that Steve said " I have to go." He got up sharply and went downstairs. What was with him all of the sudden? 

" You know what, I am done." I said and followed Steve outside. He was standing at the bottom of the stairs, leaning against the banister with a bowed head. The one thing that popped into my head was Peggy. So I walked down to him and put my hand on his shoulder. He turned around and went for a hug. He was clearly heartbroken.