85. The Potts

New Jersey 1970.

We reappeared somewhere behind the camp. I looked around and realised something, dad and I weren't even born yet.

Walking up to the front of the camp only Steve had a disguise. Dad and I both had tags. His saying he was an MIT visitor and mine saying I was a scientist. When we crossed the street a man driving by in his car shouted something at us. " Hey, man. Make love, not war!" I got a glimpse of the man. Was that the Fedex guy? 

" Dad did you see that, it was the fedex guy." I told him. 

" Which one?" He asked. 

" The Tony 'Stank' one." It made dad smile, like he knew something I didn't. But I let it slide, we had more important things to think about. 'Camp Lehigh birthplace of Captain America.' I read the sign. The place was huge and there were a lot of people walking around. 

" Clearly, you weren't actually born here, right?" Dad asked Steve. That was a joke right? Like he didn't know he was born in Brooklyn, everyone knew that. 

" The idea of me was." Steve told him. 

We were walking around trying not to look suspicious. " Right. Well, imagine you're SHIELD, running a quasi-fascistic intelligence organization. Where do you hide it?" Dad asked us. Well, probably somewhere no one could find you. 

" In plain sight." Steve then said looking at one of the buildings. 

Walking up to the building I asked him " How do you know it's in here?" 

He whispered " Nat and I were almost blown up here when the whole HYDRA debacle happened." We took an elevator, which Steve also knew about. There was another person in there, a lady, carrying some files. She looked nice. 

" Good luck on your mission, Captain, Doctor." Dad told us when he got out of the elevator. 

" Good luck on your project, doctor." Steve told him. 

When we were waiting for our floor the lady asked " You're new here?" 

" Yes." I answered " First day." 

But Steve just said " Not exactly." We got out of the elevator and hid in one of the empty hallways.

Now we needed to make sure Dr. Pym left his office so we could grab the particles. " Any ideas?" Steve asked me. 

" Call him and say there's a package waiting for him?" I suggested. 

" That could work." He said. After we had found his number in one of the phone books we went looking for a phone. There was one in a little hallway close to his office. So Steve dialed the number and Dr. Pym answered. " Hello. Dr. Pym?... This is Capt. Stevens from shipping... We have a package for you... Well, that's the thing, sir. We can't.... Well, it's just... Sir, the box is glowing and, to be honest, some of our mail guys aren't feeling that great... Yeah, they did. You better get down here." 

Not even a second later Hank Pym sprinted out of his office shouting " Excuse me. Out of the way!"

We snuck into his office and looked around. I saw a silver helmet, impressed with how the Ant-Man suit had evolved from that helmet to Scott's cool suit. Steve had already found the vials of red liquid. 

" Are there enough?" I asked. 

" Yes." He told me. He grabbed them, put them away and we snuck out of the office. While we did that I saw the lady from the elevator talk to some security guards. 

" And you've never seen these people before?" They asked her. 

" No, I've got an eye for this." She told them. I pulled Steve into the hallway to make sure she didn't see us. 

" They're onto us." I told him. 

He peeked behind the corner " Yeah, we gotta go." He said. While we walked towards the door another guard came through it. 

" That's not good." I whispered to Steve, trying not to look suspicious. I decided to hide inside one of the rooms until he was gone. But when I did, I saw Steve enter the room beside me. 

" Can I help you?" A voice suddenly asked. I turned around, hoping it wasn't a guard. But when I turned around I saw a woman. 

" Oh hi, euhm..." I started. It was Peggy Carter. 

 She interrupted me. " What's wrong?" She asked. 

I smiled, it was actually Peggy. " You're Peggy." I said. 

" Last time I checked I was. What can I help you with?" She asked me. I was a bit overwhelmed. It was Peggy, the woman that visited me and dad. The girl that had won over Steve's heart. 

" I was just, looking for the bathroom actually. But wow, You're actually Peggy Carter." It was like I was starstruck. 

" Yes, I don't know why you're all starstruck about it though." She told me getting up from the table she was sitting on. 

" Cause you're awesome." I told her, like it was obvious. 

" Well thank you. I'd say the same about you but I'm afraid I don't know you well enough for that." She told me kindly. 

" Odette, Walles." I told her, sticking out my hand. 

" I like that name." She told me while shaking it. " Well Odette it's nice to meet you but I have places to be so if you'll excuse me." She said, getting up. 

" Oh yeah, of course." I said and exited the room. Back in the hallway I looked around for Steve. He wasn't there, so I decided to knock on the door I had seen him enter. I looked at the door ' Margaret Carter', he came out of it, looking kinda sad. 

" You okay?" I asked him. 

He nodded and said " Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go get your dad." He had seen her, I just knew it.

Back outside we were standing behind some cars. When dad saw us he nodded, but didn't come our way. 

" Go get him please." Steve told me. 

I walked out to him and the man he was talking to and said " Dad, we gotta go." He looked at me and then back at the man he was talking to. I recognized him, I had seen pictures of him in the Smithsonian. It was my granddad. 

" This is my oldest daughter I was telling you about, Odette Potts." Dad introduced me. 

" Howard Stark, nice to meet you." He said shaking my hand. 

" Nice to meet you too." I said. I was a bit speechless. I was standing in front of him, I had met him for the first time ever. I saw him look at my badge 

" A bright young woman I see." He said seeing the word scientist on it. 

 " I try." I smiled " But we really gotta go though dad." I told him. 

" Yeah right." dad said. 

" Good to meet you, Potts." Grandpa told us. 

" Yeah, Howard... Everything's gonna be all right." Dad said and hugged him. " Thank you for everything" He then told him. " you've done for this country." He added trying to not make it weirder than it already was. 

" You have a bright future ahead of you miss." Granddad then told me " SHIELD could use more smart women like you."

" I'll think about it." I smiled at him, and we walked away.

We walked out of the camp and back to the back of it where no one could see us. In the meantime I was processing what had just happened. I had met both my granddad and Peggy. I even saw Jarvis out of the corner of my eyes, standing by a car. Needless to say, they will be very confused when they find out in the future that their family look exactly like the people they had met decades before.

We put a vile of particles in our suit and set it for the day and place we had left on our mission. We suited up and I said " See you on the other side." I pressed the button and shrunk down.